Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D News and Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th September 2007, 07:51 AM   #11
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Second Life plugin now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
What would be your advice if one wants to important a 3ds object and try to export it as a sculptie? I know it has something to do with UV maps + texture but am a total noob in this aspect. Can you point me to info explaining how it can be done.
I just put together a walk-through on how to map & export an existing model to SL:

http://independentdeveloper.com/arch...rom_existing_3

It's also got a before-and-after example you can download.

Please let me know if this tutorial is helpful or if it's still confusing--if it's still confusing, let me know what didn't make sense, or what didn't work, so I can improve the tutorial if possible.

[Oh, uhm, and don't mind my website is entirely broken links. It's not done.]
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 09:17 PM   #12
HD1

Hey Lisa,
HD here... :-) Awsome tutorial... it has been VERY helpfull. I do have one question thow... in it you say :

"From the File menu, select Export, then select Second Life Sculpted Prim. This will create a series of TGA files, one for each mesh in your model. If you have the newer version of the plug-in, you can export a "normalized" sculpt map instead. This makes the sculpt map use the full range available to it. Your sculpt map will be smoother and more precise, but you will have to re-size the shape inside Second Life after you import it."

I'm using the newest plug in now but not sure what you meant by "you can export a "normalized" sculpt map instead" ...

is this something you do to the model before exporting it?

Thanks ....
HD
HD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 05:43 PM   #13
lisa
Professional user

It's just a different export mode. Basically, what it does is stretches the boundaries of the sculpt map so that its 1x1x1 meter, no matter what the dimensions of your original sculpty were. This gives you a little more numerical range, and hence detail\smoothness, but has the disadvantage that you need to rescale the sculpty to it's original dimensions once imported into SL.

The newest version of the exporter isn't official yet, but hopefull will be very soon.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote