Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D News and Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th July 2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default AC3D 7 out now!

AC3D 7 is out now! Download AC3D 7 from http://www.inivis.com/download.

This latest version includes a new basic LSCM mapping button on the Texture Coordinate Editor. This allows a collection of surfaces to be ‘unwrapped’ and is particularly useful for curved areas of a model. Simply select two or more surfaces and press the unwrap button. You can use this to map different areas of a model, unwrapping each area and then positioning the new mapping on the texture space.

AC3D 7 is available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X Intel/PPC (yes we still support PPC macs!)

Free Model

It’s very black, it’s very stealthy, it’s the black stealth bomber included with this release. By Allen Ray (Clay on the AC3D forum) flying in Second Life. Allen uses AC3D’s Collada (.dae) export to create detailed 3D models for use in Second Life. Read all about his work and how he uses AC3D in this AC3D Customer Spotlight

Featured Videos

For a great series of YouTube videos on how AC3D is used when making FlightGear models – see TheOmegaHangar. The techniques used are useful to everyone, not only aircraft enthusiasts, and are well worth a view.

Got AC3D? get the app!

AC3D Viewer iOS App for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch now available on the AppStore

Store, view and share your favorite AC3D models with this handy new app.
  • Carry around your 3D models and show them to friends/clients.
  • Spin your 3D models; zoom and position the 3D view with your fingers.
  • Choose a snapshot of your favorite viewpoint as the icon.
  • Display your models with or without textures, or in wireframe.
  • Save images for use in documents and emails.
  • Share models with others by emailing directly from your iOS device.
  • Import your models from email, Dropbox or via iTunes (you can also add texture image files this way if required).

More Info

Upgrades

AC3D 7 is free if you purchased AC3D (or upgraded) after December 2010. If you purchased your license earlier, visit our upgrade center for a discounted upgrade:

www.inivis.com/upgrade.html

Thanks for your support!

The Inivis Team
www.inivis.com

Last edited by Andy; 20th July 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
foxa
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D 7 out now!

Hey Andy, congrats on the new AC3D, already upgraded. Before I screw things up (again ;-) will the old plugins work with Vers. 7?

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Thanks Art - Older plugins should be fine but let us know if you have any problems.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:31 AM   #4
d49l

Unhappy Re: AC3D 7 out now!

Why isn't the upgrades free any more?

Have I misunderstood something?

At the point I bought this program in 2010, it is my full belief that it was stated that the upgrades was free for this program.

This upgrade make me feel ripped off, and in disgust in thought of continuing using this program!

Do I have to upgrade to blender, to get free upgrades in the future?
d49l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 10:52 AM   #5
JimB_again

I must admit it does'nt seem all that long since I upgraded to AC3D 68.14,unfortunately my key does'nt appear to work for 7 "A newer software license ...etc"
Sorry Andy I cant really justify purchasing an upgrade at the moment.

Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Jim - you purchased March 2010 - time flies when you've having fun

d49l - you purchased January 2010

The version you are using will not time out or stop working. Whilst upgrading ensures continued support and development, you are under no obligation to upgrade.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:24 AM   #7
RichKuzmack

Andy,

I started using AC3D back in 2007, so this is not the first time I have hit the 'paid upgrade' boundary, and while I can appreciate the reaction of d491 and Jim, it is still one of the best deals around! I note that my Alibre Design takes $100 each year to stay current . . . and that's among the least costly. Those looking for a free lunch would not be happy with a lunch worth zero, they just want someone else to pay for it, and that is irresponsible.

I began using AC3D to make custom sculpts for Second Life, and it transitioned smoothly into the new mesh system. There are still some things that an AC3D sculpted prim can do that the meshes won't, so sculpting lives on!

I have also found AC3D to be an easy environment to create a model of a precision part that can then be exported as an .stl mesh and have MeshCAM produce the G-Code to make the part on my CNC mill. That is a completely different application for AC3D.

So I will be upgrading and add my two cents <chuckle> to keep AC3D alive and vibrant!

Rich
RichKuzmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Stiglr
Professional user

I know I can get Blender, for FREE, at any time.... and they upgrade their product much more often.

However: I'll gladly bump up my AC3D version, because I can actually *use* it and be productive. I certainly can't say the same for Blender.

A little perspective for those of you who think you're getting fleeced. Small concerns like this one have bills, too. Stop looking for a free ride. It's not as if this is a Microsoft product, which effectively FORCES you to upgrade every two years or so.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 10:08 AM   #9
coldby
Professional user

That's quite disappointing! I too was about to complain bitterly about $40 being demanded for a single added feature, then all of a sudden I found out that I last upgraded last year thus I'm getting it for free...

WHY, THANKS ANDY ! ! !

But... I'm a bit ashamed to ask... what does it do exactly? What the heck means to "unwrap" a set of surfaces?
Selecting each surface and mapping it individually is no new stuff, I do that since I can remember, so it must be something subtler and cleverer, but I'll be damned if I can guess what - unless it means that finally an object can support more than one texture, but in that case you would certainly spend more than a few words on the topic.

Maybe my wife is right and I'm not as smart as I look. Who gives me a hint?
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 05:45 AM   #10
coldby
Professional user

WOW, a whole week without a reply whatsoever... how should I read it?

1 - The question is too stupid to deserve an answer

2 - No-one has seen your post yet

3 - We're all still trying to figure out what the hell the new feature does

Please mark whatever applies

coldby is offline   Reply With Quote