Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd April 2008, 06:59 AM   #1
MrSteve
Professional user

Default Second Life

I dont know if its just my computer, but second life seems to be a pretty unstable program, it takes forever to load all the little details and i keep falling thru floor and getting stuck in wall and whatavya, does anyone expirience these problems??

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Ind...lAuthorExact/y
MrSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:21 AM   #2
glebreck

Default Re: Second Life

Second Life is a video card hog.

You can go into your preferences and turn everything down. But remember the better video card and processor you have the better it looks. Also keep in mind that everything from SL is streaming. Sometimes quality is dependant on the scripts, number of people, quality of textures for the region you are in. Also a full blown region runs on one processor which supports something like 1600 prim. If the region is at or close to the prim limit this has a hugh impact on proformance.

There are lots of variables, but over all a machine with at least a 2 gig processor, 2 gig of ram, and a high end video card with a cable (not DSL) connection everything runs well. I have noticed it runs much better on Intel machines, but I have not ever run it on a Mac.
glebreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 05:35 PM   #3
lisa
Professional user

SL does tend to be unstable, some areas of the grid are more stable than others.

Usually, I keep upgrading my viewer until I get one that works for me. (They seem to release a new one sometimes as often as every few days to a week). Once I've got a stable build of the viewer, I keep it until they force an upgrade on me.

This may be helpful--or may just be my imagination--but it seems to work better for me if I have the latest drivers and OpenGL for my video card installed.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Petite Pixie
Advanced member

Sounds to me like you're lagging. If you're on a wireless then that is probably your problem because wireless and Second Life do not work together. If you are on wireless then I would suggest you go landline hardwire mode. You'll probably get less problems.
Petite Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote