Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd January 2005, 02:55 AM   #1
slashdot
Advanced member

Default Having problem with top of my penguins head. Empty. Why?

Ok, my penguin's head is coming out blank. Look here. http://pntbalg.shackspace.com/topofpenguin.png How do I fill that in. And also, can't I just go over it somehow? And anothe question, how do I make the beak more the same color, and not a few bland yellows here, and a few true yellows here. Thanx in advance!

--PS--
How do I make the beak more smooth? Thanx again in advance!
slashdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 08:22 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

The red outlines probably indicate bad polygons. You may have >1 vertices in the same place. Try using Object->Optimize-vertices to remove these.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 05:06 PM   #3
slashdot
Advanced member

Hey thanx. Well I did it, but it seemed to clear up a little bit, or none at all. What else could I do? If I put a sheet over it, would I increase, as some say as bad, polygons?
Old 2nd January 2005, 06:57 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

The red outline polygons usually indicate polygons that won't triangulate, perhaps because there are duplicate vertices at the same position, or edges are crossing. Try selecting one of the surfaces and switchcing to vertex mode to see (at the top of the controlpanel) how many vertices you have in that surface. If you have > 3, that's the problem.

You could also try selecting the red surfaces and try combining them (surface->combine).

If that doesn't work, you can try deleting them then creatinga new surface between the vertices.

If all else fails, send me the file and I'll have a look at it.

Andy
Old 2nd January 2005, 10:31 PM   #5
slashdot
Advanced member

Surface combine actualy made the very middle fixed, but thers somewhat large ring around it that I can't fix with just about everything I have tried. http://pntbalg.shackspace.com/tuxholeinhead.png Plz, if you can, take a look at it as wel, its at the same site, pntbalg.shackspace.com. Its name is either tuxman.ac, or tuxfighter.ac. Thanx in advance.
Old 2nd January 2005, 11:22 PM   #6
Stiglr
Professional user

Try this:

Surface mode. Select all the surfaces in the first concentric ring around the top of the skull (that is, the very top center vertice and the first ring of vertices around it). Be sure you have only those surfaces selected, by spinning around in 3D mode and checking your left and front views.

Surface/Delete Surface Only. This will delete all the surfaces, but leave the vertices.

Now, select the vertices that describe the same (now empty) area.
Vertex/Create Convex Hull.

You may have to go into the head and get rid of a few surfaces that form a "floor" under all the vertices, but if you have no polygon limit pressure, don't bother.

Select your newly created surfaces, and the rest of the head, or whatever you want to all be one object and Merge them. Then do a Optimize Vertices and Optimize Surfaces to be sure you get rid of any double vertices (these were what likely caused this mess in the first place).

Then, Surface/Triangulate the entire object.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 04:37 AM   #7
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

I had a look at your model. The original problem is present at the bottom. If you have a close look, each red outlined triangle is actually a quad (four vertices) with crossing edges. If you select all the centre vertices and vertex->snap-together, then optimize-vertices, you'll make them into correct triangles.

If you don't still hace the original model, stiglr's instructions above will fix the top.

Andy
Old 3rd January 2005, 05:37 AM   #8
slashdot
Advanced member

Thanx, once I get my slacktop back up and running, and not flaking, I'll do that. Thanx again!