Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th August 2008, 02:05 PM   #11
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D\SL Tutorial: Two Shapes, One Sculpted Prim

Nah. You'll get it. We just have to find whatever will make it "click" for you. I just feel bad I haven't been able to explain it better.

I started to do a texturing tutorial (not SL-specific, just the TCE in general) but with so much going on, I haven't had time to finish it, aargh.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 01:43 AM   #12
Darkwox

Thank you for your tutorial, I'm really interested in learn how I can made this shapes, but all is so confused for me. Could you explain step by step this process?
Darkwox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 11:43 PM   #13
Severa
Advanced member

I'm kind of confused too. I think a good tutorial for someone to do would be to do a bunch of stones separated but yet one sculpt. There's a sculpt like this in SL I've seen that is outside the store Illusions, and I'd like to see how that's done. It's a bunch of flat, hard-edges shapes seperated from one another yet all one sculpt. If you look at it from the underside, you can see where the hidden connections are that make this work. I know it's asking a lot, but I'd like to see a tutorial on how something just like that is made. For example: what shape you start with, how many divides etc. That one would be the best example for teaching this.

Last edited by Severa; 7th October 2008 at 06:44 PM.
Severa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 09:01 PM   #14
lisa
Professional user

Can you post a picture?
Old 9th October 2008, 03:12 AM   #15
Severa
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
Can you post a picture?
Sure, want me to link the 3 shots here or zip them my usual method?

Actually I can zip them up. They were larger but I scaled them down because I was going to post them up here. Anyway Filefront Link: http://files.filefront.com/1+prim+sc.../fileinfo.html
Old 9th October 2008, 03:49 PM   #16
lisa
Professional user

Here's a brief video showing how to pull that one off.

Part 1: Fleshing out a couple of rocks
http://www.independentdeveloper.com/...eprimrocks.wmv

Part 2: Cleaning up a minor defect
http://www.independentdeveloper.com/...primrocks2.wmv

I only made a couple of rocks to show the idea, but you could repeat the same thing ad-nauseum with the remaining geometry to make a whole sheet of rocks.

Basic steps:
- Make a 32x32 plane
- Grab some vertices and move them upward to form the rock. I grabbed several, but if you want more rocks that are smaller, you can grab fewer.
- Leave a gap between the rocks when you make the next one.
- Select the vertices in the gap and scale them down to nothing.
- Import into SL and set sculpt mode to "planar"

Note that I never change the uv map, even though I deform the geometry all over the place.

On the cleanup: there was a "spur" I didn't like, so I moved it to the edge. There are a number of things you can do to make it better still with a little more time. i.e. I didn't do it in the video, but once on the edge you can either scale the spur up to make it appear even with the rest of the edge, or more likely, I'd crush down that whole edge as well and make it degenerate (invisible) too. That's a "final step" thing though; i.e. best to wait to fix the edge until you've made *all* your rocks. Other tweaks would be to scale up the surface of each rock in the uv map to make them "sharper". Of course, most of that can be done with texture trickery anyway--lighting is more important than shape in fooling the eye--so that step is optional.

Here are the before\after cleanup images of the rocks in SL:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rocks-final_001.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1264  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rocks-final_002.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1265  

Old 9th October 2008, 05:30 PM   #17
Severa
Advanced member

I'll try this and thanks for taking the time and doing it and posting it. I saw when you placed the plane in the TCE it looked okay. I hope mine does too! I know the plane shape is flat already so it will probably be okay I hope, but when i use a cube (which I want to so badly) for other things I work on, that thing never wraps right for me. I know my biggest problem is the TCE. So I switch from this to blender but blender is inferior to AC3d, so it's just confusing. I like to make a lot of robotic like stuff so I'm always suffering with that TCE.

Hopefully that video you did helps people to understand this several shapes 1 sculpt method. I'll give it a try and post back.