Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th September 2010, 03:17 PM   #1
froqus

Default upgrade ehm

ehm....

"Upgrading for licensed users
If you already own a license for AC3D, download and install the new version of AC3D from here. Start AC3D and enter your current license-key in AC3D's menu, Help->Enter-License-Key. If you purchased AC3D during or after December 2008 , the upgrade is FREE. If you have an earlier license key, you can upgrade for just $34.95 - for a limited period. " from there: http://www.inivis.com/downloads.html

Sorry, haha lol? Andy but you want take more 35$ for mouse scroll in Linux and 2-3 minor bugfixes? its fair yeah?

I waiting add mouse scroll for Linux version in 2(two!) f*cking years, but now ill must pay more again for this "major" feature? Nope. Its called "small bugfixes" and 'some minor changes".

Yes, i can understand about pay upgrades from version 4 to 5 , from 5 to 6 - its called " new version, major changes etc.." but... but from 6.5 to 6.7? o_O ?

"Autodesk style upgrade" now migrate to middleware soft? lol. if is it: bye-bye proprietary Inivis, welcome Blender=). IMHO

Last edited by froqus; 18th September 2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add some
froqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 12:35 PM   #2
dcforeman

Default Re: upgrade ehm

Yeah this isn't on.

What is worse, is that there's no obvious way to download 6.4 or any other previous version. He hasn't been nice enough to add an "old versions" list to his website so that users can download the software again. No, he's practically forcing any user who doesn't have the download backed up. To pay $35 for an 11Mb file download.

Blender is looking better to me as well.

The only reason you buy commerical software is for the support, I don't see much support going on here. Just a chance for the author to grab more cash.
dcforeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Jeetman

Wow. This is not good. There should be a way to download previous installs. I just upgraded my version (without saving the backup as I usually would do) because I wrongly assumed I could get the older version back if I needed to. Unfortunately I've become part of the unemployed recently and I can't justify the expense of a new upgrade for a program I use occasionally. I saw the new upgrade and was drawn in thinking that I'd be able to get back my older version if my license was too old. Guess not.

I understand that Inivis probably needs the revenue but to not have the ability to go back to your older versions that your license agreed to honor is not a good business practice. Fortunately I do have my original version that I paid for and I'll probably be able to finded the last updated version on the net from a third party so I think I'll be able to at least get back to the last version my license allows.

In the future Andy, you need to make clear to people with older licenses that once you upgrade, you will not be able to get your original version back. You should not instruct people to uninstall the older version either.
Jeetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 12:20 PM   #4
jayd
Expert member

Well this is certainly interesting---i can get my old versions back anytime i need them--i simply back my installer up on my storage drive.

I have never assumed that its Andy's responsibility to supply me with archived versions. I do this back up with all my software and so have no real problems.

This is great software and I also use blender but my first choice because of ease of use is AC3D.
jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Jeetman

Yeah. I did mistakenly think there was an FTP site that has all of it's previous versions including plugins from 3rd parties dating all the way back to it's first versions like another 3D animation product I have does. I don't see the problem. Obviously he wouldn't have to provide 3rd party plugins but he could have a link to a site that allows you to download previous versions. You can be sure that he has every version he's made. It would not be that hard to do. It's just a better business practice to provide your product.

This means that if my computer crashed. I'd be forced to pay for the latest version even though I already paid for the version I had. You can't see how that's not a good practice?

I am at fault. I assumed I could trust that my original purchase would be honored. Remember the instructions tell you to uninstall the previous version.

Hey, since you back up all your versions, you wouldn't happen to have the ac3d6.7.15a version would you? I'd like to get it back if possible.

Last edited by Jeetman; 29th November 2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo
Jeetman is offline   Reply With Quote