Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th April 2005, 11:59 AM   #1
cyris69
Advanced member

Default All kinds of questions

I have a few questions.

How do you create a single hole in a 3d object without deleting faces creating that nasty see through that makes whatever you see through the hole missing.

How do you fill empty space because i have never used just polygon drawings in this program b/c i dont know how to make the other sides for 3d.

Lastly, does anyone know how to make a raindrop splash or water ripples? Like have a whole bunsh of raindrops and some hitting the ground making a splash from the force of impact. And the look of a ripple effect right as a raindrop hits a puddle or an area with water.

Oh.. and is there a way to make it look like the ground is wet. Like a glazed glassy look and puttles in curtain areas, bump maping added to give the ground some realism like a road or somthing. I know that will have to be done in a rendering prog(I use Pov-Ray).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.S.
Thanks in advance.
cyris69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: All kinds of questions

Quote:
How do you create a single hole in a 3d object without deleting faces creating that nasty see through that makes whatever you see through the hole missing.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean here. Could you elaborate?

Quote:
How do you fill empty space because i have never used just polygon drawings in this program b/c i dont know how to make the other sides for 3d.
I'm not *entirely* sure what you mean, but you can fill gaps between vertices using any of the "Vertex | Create..." options. Have a look at the Help file for details on these functions.

Quote:
Lastly, does anyone know how to make a raindrop splash or water ripples?
For a still scene that you'd model in AC3D, I'd recommend using a textured surface with a "water splash" image with transparency for splashes, and textures plus bumpmaps for water ripples. However, if you were doing an *extreme* closeup (i.e., an insect's pov), the ripples and drops would be big enough for you to actually model them ... if you want to model ripples, I'd recommend using the Revolve tool (look it up in the Help file and you'll see what I mean).

Unfortunately, I don't know how to tell POVRay to make bump maps, transparencies, etc --- perhaps someone else does?
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2005, 10:18 AM   #3
cyris69
Advanced member

Default Thx

I'm ok with povray i know how to add transparencies and effects.

Making a hole:
Well I mean like make a sphere and create a hole in it. But when you delete the faces where you want the hole. When looking through the hole the inside is transparent. Is there a way to fill that area to make it look like a hole. Like add faces to the inside that is missing the area.
I'm sorry if I don't make sense i'm really new to 3d art and modle progs.

Would i use bump mapping top make water like this-->

And this is what i mean by filling or making a hole

See how its doesn't show the inside like in a cup how can i fix this.
Old 26th April 2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyris69
Making a hole
That makes sense.

To make a hole, say, in a sphere, you can use the CSG plugin ("Boolean operation" under the Tools menu). Not sure if you're a registered user, but that may be a tool that you'll only find after you've registered AC3D (unless Andy's changed the way the demo works).

For the "inside of the cup" issue, I'd personally have modeled this cup using the "Revolve" tool --- I believe the Help file has a demonstration of creating a cup/goblet with the Revolve tool. You may still be able to remake this cup using the existing geometry and the revolve tool, as long as the vertices making the vertical contour of the cup are lined up on an axis (see the Help file and that may make sense).

Another trick you can do is using the "extrude" tool - the best way to explain how to do this is by example:

1. Create a sphere.
2. In Surface mode, select the "top" part of the sphere (hemisphere) and delete those faces. You'll be left wit hthe bottom half of the sphere, which, for this example, is your cup.
3. Still in Surface mode, select all of the faces in the sphere and click the Extrude tool. Under the Extrude options that appear in the control panel, check "cap end" and "flip new surfaces" ( leave "remove original" unchecked). Under "By normal direction", set the "Dist" to -0.01. Click the "Extrude by normal" button.
4. You should now have an "inside" to your cup, very slightly offset from the original cup, and the edges are facing inside the cup. Don't deselect anything yet. Go back into "Move/size" mode (exit Extrude mode) and use "Ctrl+drag" on one of the corners of the current selection selection. This will proportionally resize the inside of the cup. Shrink it until the cup is the thickness you want. You will probably end up having to move the entire inside up or down to have the top of the cup's inside level with the top of the cup's outside.

Hope that makes sense. It should work for you existing cup, too, just wanted to give you a pure example that I coudl recreate.

Yet another option for the cup is to make your surfaces two-sided - select the faces/object you want to do this to, and click the "2S" button at the bottom of the control panel on the left side of the screen. This will show the inside of the cup, but the cup will have a very "thin" appearance around the lip. That's why I'd have used the Revolve tool.

Quote:
Would i use bump mapping top make water like this
Try google'ing for "povray water" (minus quotes) and you'll get some pretty good examples. The first page that came up for me, http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y00...ter/index.html , looks promising.

Hope that helps.
Old 26th April 2005, 01:04 PM   #5
cyris69
Advanced member

Default Thanks

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help and walk-through, sadly I messed up my BIOS chip on my MB and can't seem to flash it/reset it no matter what I do, so I will have to wait till I get a new MB so I can finish up.

I really like 3D art and this program is amazing though I feel I can draw much better than I can make stuff in AC3D lol. This is the first 3d prog i have ever used for this sort of thing. I like it b/c it gives me the feel of "Unreal" editor and "Hammer" editor.

Well thanks again for you advice and greatly needed help. I will post the pics when I'm done. check out my first modle.

www.teampki.com/~cyris69
Old 27th April 2005, 11:47 AM   #6
cyris69
Advanced member

Default Thanks!

Well that worked just fine, oh I fixed my pc.

Well I couldn't get the thickness to change but i think i did something wrong. I didn't align the inside with the top of the lip to coverup the empty space so i left it thin,(Is there a way to add thickness after I have made that grail/cup?). If i can't get that to work can i connect the vertexs to the lip if the cup?

Oh, I was wondering how can i make marbles, i have made some already that look wonderful but i want it to have different shades inside like a real marble.I can get the marbles to be transperent after i add a glass texture and finish in pov-ray. Can you help me with this?

Also i need help with real-life lighting using photon mapping, b/c i have no idea how to do so, this would look great when light goes through the marbles/glass. When i get home today after school i will upload a pic of what i have.
Thank you so much for your patients and help.
Old 27th April 2005, 10:46 PM   #7
Dennis
Professional user

Default Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Well I couldn't get the thickness to change but i think i did something wrong. I didn't align the inside with the top of the lip to coverup the empty space so i left it thin,(Is there a way to add thickness after I have made that grail/cup?). If i can't get that to work can i connect the vertexs to the lip if the cup?
If you can manage to select all surfaces inside the cup (without selecting the outer cup's surfaces), you could proportionally shrink the selection from the top view, which should add depth to the lip of the cup. Try this - in the 3D view, orient your view so you're "above" the cup and can't see any faces of the outer cup (just the inside of the cup). Uncheck the "select backfaces" option at the bottom of the ac3d window, then drag in the 3D window to select the inside of the cup. If you do it right, you'll only have selected the inside of the cup.

For lighting and marbles however --- I'm not adept at POVRay rendering... perhaps someone else here is?