Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd May 2010, 04:41 PM   #1
grifflyman

Default How do I make a prim like this in SL?

How do you make 1 prim look like this? They are one sculpted prim when I select them in edit mode. The walkway is one 5 foot section, all one prim, and the window is one 2 by 5 section, all one prim.

and

Any help? I don't understand how they do that!

XD
grifflyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 05:31 PM   #2
grifflyman

Default Re: How do I make a prim like this in SL?

I figured out how to make prims like this in SL.

I'm not sure if its possible with Ac3D but I have to play around with a few things to see.
Old 16th May 2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Stiglr
Professional user

I can't imagine how it's possible for ONE PRIMITIVE to create that entire building.

For that boardwalk, perhaps one slat can very quickly be duplicated and laid side by side using AC3D's Replicator function.... but, technically, each replicated item would be its own primitive.

But, I'm hard pressed to imagine using box modeling techniques and starting with one box, ending up with that entire building using nothing but subdivision and extrusion stemming from just the one box.

Also, why would you need or want to limit yourself to one box anyway? It's not that much work to use one (duplicated) primitive for the pillars, an extruded plane for the walls, etc.. And, if any of them should be cylinders instead of boxes, or planes, or disks, or whatever, why is it a problem to need to use more than one primitive?

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 04:18 PM   #4
grifflyman

Saving prim in second life is key if you own land, you can only have so many prims before it caps, and you can only like 256 prims together.

there are 3-5 sections of the board walk, each section is like 8-14 planks. The sections are all one sculpty.

The same goes for the window frames, they are on sculpty being repeated.
Old 17th May 2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Stiglr
Professional user

Thanks for the perspective. Now that's what I call some severe "low poly modeling"!!

I suppose, if you're driven by such a narrow restriction, you could use box modeling techniques to limit the number of primitives you create objects from... but it would be a harder way to do it than it would be to have the liberty to just create the shapes you need from a menu of primitives.

The other thing to consider would be what "rules" are used to determine what constitutes a primitive; (e.g., do replicated or mirrored copies count as the final number, or just as ONE original?) And how does the game engine "count" primitives?

Here's one example. Say you create a single plane for the floor, then use subdivision to create a square grid within that plane/floor; then position certain grid squares into areas from which pillars will emerge; then use Add Vertice and some rearrangement to make the pillar areas cylindrical in shape and then extrude them out of the floor. That would seem to be still ONE primitive... although you'd think that a cylindrical extrusion was not technically anything like a flat plane.

Interesting subject... I'm always used to thinking of modeling in terms of poly limits; how many triangles can a game engine handle in an object without causing "slide-show" stutters when displaying in-game animation? This Second Life paradigm seems to be another way of looking at it entirely!

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 05:52 PM   #6
lisa
Professional user

SL is effectively parameterized surfaces. Each parameterized object is a "primitive".

Both the planks and the windows I would build with a similar process. I would start either with the pre-mapped cube or with a gridded plane. The plane is easier, but doesn't have backfaces, which is okay for the planks but may-or-may-not be okay for the windows.

It's probably easier to show than to describe, so here's a video of a quick-and-dirty knock off to teach you how.

Model and Textures: http://www.independentdeveloper.com/files/planks.zip

Video: http://www.independentdeveloper.com/files/planks.wmv

If you start with the plane, give it four times as many grid sections as planks. (--Actually, four plus one, heh heh, I messed that up in the video, which is okay because it gave me a good chance to show you how to fix up the uv map which is something alot of people have trouble with.) If you need more edges or if you start with the cube, use divide loop to create more geometry. Scoot the vertices in to make the divisions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1971  

lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:27 PM   #7
grifflyman

Wow, thanks a bunch! You rock!!!

Could you use the same tools to make something like this?

https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.ph...ItemID=1338318
Old 26th May 2010, 05:04 PM   #8
lisa
Professional user

Anytime!

Hmm. Probably. The spokes would make it difficult to do as one prim, but it might be done with some massaging. It would be easiest to do as two prims: one for the hub and spokes that's a single object, then a hoop for the rim.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote