Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th August 2005, 08:21 PM   #1
jojikvv

Default About VRML

I have several questions in using VRML in AC3D.

1. When I try to export VRML, the “Hierarchy Structure” doesn’t seem to be properly recognized. Is there any other ways to do it, or is it meant to be “not support it “ in the first place?

2. Currently, only 1.0 is supporting “VRML import”. When can we a support from 2.0? Do you have any plan for it?

3. There is an error when I export data to the folder named in Korean. It seems that it does not support multi language feature. What is your solution and when can we see that solution to it?
jojikvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 11:32 PM   #2
griff
Professional user

AC3d's VRML2/97 is a very limited export. It exports Shape nodes, the geometry/material nodes you find inside a Shape node, and a Pointlight node.

So if you have a collection of objects it exports them as a long list of shapes - no hierarchy - except that they are arranged in in the same order you that is shown in the hierarchy box. So NO Transforms or Group nodes.

This can be a benefit ... but sometimes a little awkward.

The benefit is all the co-ordinate values are absolute ... no need to transform them. I am told ... this speeds up the rendering in a vrml browser as there are no calculations to do. If you want to make sure a group of objects are associated just drop a Group node around those objects ... not a big deal.

The draw back .... if you create a column .... and want to make a row of them ... using the DEF/USE becomes messy. So your vrml file is a little bigger.

Personally, I have got used to this little drawback, and tend to create knowing this. I also think that the vrml exported from AC3D ... while a very basic vrml ... it is some of the cleanest code you can work with ( I know of at least one program that buries geometry in the many transforms it creates - no names though ;-) .)

As for importing VRML2/97 lots of features are designed for animations /scripting etc ... something that was not in VRML1. Until AC3D goes beyond a geometry modeler and has animation features ... will probably be NO import of VRML2/97.

If you wish to get some vrml2/97 back into AC3D you can use a program like Accutrans 3d (http://www.micromouse.ca/) and export in VRML1 or .obj format to get the geometry.

Just my thoughts

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote