Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd October 2012, 02:25 PM   #1
donamy
Professional user

Default moving or sizing along a vector.

Is there a way to move a group or surfaces along a precise vector direction ? Such as a vector set with the "set axis" tool.
donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
LumpTom
Advanced member

Default Re: moving or sizing along a vector.

question is, how you you are able to define this vector ... two existing vertices? delta of triangular coordinates?

Last edited by LumpTom; 23rd October 2012 at 03:27 PM.
LumpTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 09:20 AM   #3
LumpTom
Advanced member

If you mean it so, that you have some surface or group of surfaces and you want to move some exact vertice from this group (of course together with whole group) to the position of some other vertice (whatever else in the model), I have solution for you.

Let me show you simple example: let you imagine you have 2 cubes, yelow one you want to move (or part of it's surfaces) and second one (white) which left bottom vertice is destination for moving selected vertice of yellow box (as part of moved surfaces). See first image.

So, let you create third bigger cube (the red one transparent), which could "eat" whole yellow cube - see second image. Now select source vertice from yellow cube and fill it's coordinates to the "Move to" fields (with ">" button on the left) - see third image.

Then select red cube as object and pres "Move to" button, centre of red cube moves to the position of previously selected yellow cube vertice. See fourth image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	2753  

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	2754  

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	2755  

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	2756  

Last edited by LumpTom; 24th October 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 24th October 2012, 09:36 AM   #4
LumpTom
Advanced member

Then hide red cube and select destination vertice (on white cube) where surfaces need to be moved, and again, fill its position to the "Move to" fields. See first image.

Then select desired surfacese to move (here it is bottom and front side of yellow cube) - see second image. Then in Hierarchy window unhide and select red cube with shift pressed (add red cube surfaces to selected surfaces of yellow cube). See third image.

Last step is move whole selections to destination with "Move to" button. It moves centre of red cube within yellow cube surfaces to the destination position. Important is, that all moved surfaces must be inside red cube. Then select red cube as object and delete it. Voila ... see fourth image :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	2758  

Name:	Image6.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	2760  

Name:	Image7.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	2761  

Name:	Image8.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	2762  

Last edited by LumpTom; 24th October 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 24th October 2012, 10:01 PM   #5
donamy
Professional user

Not quite what I was looking for, but thanks for the response. What I was imagining was, something like a hemisphere, that I wanted to collapse to a flatter hemisphere, but is not inline with the x,y or z axis. Is it possible to collapse the hemisphere, in the direction of the axis that the hemisphere is in line with?
donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 03:56 AM   #6
LumpTom
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donamy View Post
Not quite what I was looking for, but thanks for the response. What I was imagining was, something like a hemisphere, that I wanted to collapse to a flatter hemisphere, but is not inline with the x,y or z axis. Is it possible to collapse the hemisphere, in the direction of the axis that the hemisphere is in line with?
... ah so, in this case my only advice is to rotate whole object to position suitable for collapsing along one of axis (remember angels), do collapse and rotate back to original position .......