Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd September 2004, 11:41 PM   #1
N00B

Default How do you texture an object or surface?

I've created some 3D text I would like to chrome. I am able to change the color by clicking on any of the colors shown at the bottom left of my screens but I can't figure out a couple things.

What textures are available?
or
How to apply those textures?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

On a related note I would like to add a row of diamonds (like you find in diamond rings) to some of the surfaces. Is there an object called diamond somewhere or do I need to draw one myself? I really can't imagine figuring out how to do a multi-faceted object that elaborate.
N00B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2004, 10:09 AM   #2
TomToad

The information in the tutorial section is a very big help. I found the car tutorial http://ac3d.org/ac3d/tutorials/carbody/index.html really helpful in learning how to use the texturing tools.

As for creating a diamond, I guess it depends on what kind of diamond you want. You could create a cube, rotate it onto a corner, and stretch the corners out a bit, or if you want something more gemlike, There is the polyhedrons located in the tools menu. I'm sure one of them could easilly be modified to look like a diamond.
TomToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2004, 11:34 AM   #3
foxa
Professional user

You can also assign materials for povray, woody has a great overview in the tutorials section.

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2004, 06:18 PM   #4
N00B

Thanks for suggesting the tutorial. I also found it somewhat helpful. I looked at it before posting and I guess I'm looking for some more specific help.

I am able to create the object - 3D text in this case. I can select the objects I want chromed. I can click Object - Texture - load texture. I have only four texture files in the samples folder. None of them is chrome.

Now what? Intuition tells me I need a chrome texture file. Where might one find such a file?

I have seen other posts in these forums mention object properties and something about the shininess set to zero is full mirror. That might work too. I can open the object properties window but typing shininess = 0 and rendering did nothing except gave me an error in POV ray. Unfortunately POVray gives me errors every time I use it with anything but the supplied samples. Trying to render files from AC3D I get errors every time.
N00B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2004, 08:04 PM   #5
foxa
Professional user

Woody has several tutorials, make sure you look at this one. http://www.ac3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=174 POVRAY has many materials supplied with it and can be specified in the objects property editor (F9) all the way from cork to chrome - have fun

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote