Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th December 2005, 01:47 PM   #1
throwingcopper

Default Splines and Extruding

Hello,

I building my first airplane and am using Splines to shape the crosssections then extruding. Its going well. Just wondering if this will result in a very high poly model-since the spline command adds so many vert.?

thanks

and if it is not a good route please tell me an alternative..
throwingcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

By definition, the more polys and vertices you add, the higher the poly count's going to be. You could save on polys by not triangulating them, but then that depends on your rendering vehicle: some games, for example REQUIRE three-sided polys, so in this case you MUST triangulate, which increases the overal number of polys at least by double.

That being said, you can create poly shapes of cross-sections (as opposed to more vertice-intensive splines) and extrude these, and still end up with a relatively low-poly model. You just have to choose your vertices carefully, make use of smoothing, and model with a low poly count in mind. That involves making decisions about smaller details: which do you model in 3D and which can be cleverly done in texturing?

If you're working on an aircraft, I've done a series of video tutorials where I use extrusion techniques for low poly models (and those that require triangulation, to boot). Perhaps they'll help you. Find the link to these in the Tutorial section of this board.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote