Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd January 2006, 02:12 PM   #1
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default No edges after REVOLVE - ?

I imported (3ds) an arc (just for a test) and selected it as an OBJECT (it was about 30 vertices alligned as a 3d arc), then selected REVOLVE for about 30 degrees, 6 steps, and 0 offset. I got what I expected, these vertices were replicated in a revolved manner in what looked liked the vertices for a nice curving square mesh, but, I cannot figure out how to get AC3D to create the edges (and then the surfaces). The 3 thrings I have tried so far all come from the Vertex Menu (Create Convex Surface, Create Ordered Surface, and Create 2D mesh), all make confusing surfaces with many extra edges where they don't belong. Is there a better way to get AC3D to make nice edges logically (using only quads of nearby vertices)?
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

If these were just imported as vertices, you'll need to make them into at least one surface before revolving.

You could try selecting all vertices and using Vertex->create-ordered-surface. If you don't get the right shape, you may have to select them in the correct order before using the same function.

Once you have a surface, you can change it from a poly into a line (bottom of control panel).

Once you have a line (or poly) it will create surfaces when it's revolved.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 05:45 PM   #3
jerrylynnb
Advanced member

Default SMOOTH CURVED MESH

Wow! Thanks, Andy, that works perfectly. What I didn't realize is that I had to promote the vertices into a surface FIRST. I have to start thinking in a new way - we don't usually think of an arc as a surface (zero dimension in depth, you know). This method gives me a nice smoth "leaf-like" surface consisting entirely of quads - really nice. Thanks again. Jerry
jerrylynnb is offline   Reply With Quote