Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th October 2005, 06:58 AM   #1
Hawk
Professional user

Default Daz images into AC3D

The Daz Studio figures work perfectly in AC3D, this saves a great deal of figure development work as it can be first posed easily in any physical position within Daz (A man in this case, Michael 3) and then resized, and positioned easily within AC3D.
Even all the vertices,colors and surfaces can be controlled as it is a wireframe image. Great!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 12:14 PM   #2
griff
Professional user

Glad you got things working Hawk

Can I suggest though that the word *image* be reserved for a 2D representation of the Daz figure (ie a render or texture map) , and that *figure* or *object* be used for the 3d representation(the wire frame you import into AC3D).

I have sometimes got that message "Cannot load.mtl file, using default " and sometimes with older .obj files of Daz/Poser figures AC3D chokes completely with the import. Am not expert on the .obj format but there may be some limitations on the import of .obj geometry files into AC3D.

What I tend to do now is use UVMapper first. Open the figure in UVMapper then save the model and the 2D texture map. The result always seems to work fine in AC3D. UVMapper will also indicate the different material surfaces if you use the *Select by materials* option when playing withe the map.

You can download the free *Classic* version of Steve Cox's UVMapper here : http://www.uvmapper.com/

And there is even a nice tutorial on using it to remap a Daz/Poser figure

I don't know what you are using the Michael figure for ... but Daz figures tend to have a lot of polygons (tens of thousands). Just the hands that come with the smiley guy I used in previous thread have 3000+ polys.

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 08:23 AM   #3
Hawk
Professional user

Hello Griff, all I need is a Daz figure (Object) in the 3d viewing port, this entire screenshot is taken into Photoshop for final work in 2D. Meaning it doesn't matter how many polys' it has, as it appears in Photoshop as non-poly object. The figure is used mainly for size comparison to another object, like a man standing next to a dog, would tell you how large the dog is. The Daz object is easily sized and moved within AC3D in relationship to the exsisting object, meaning, like the dog, I can move the Daz anywhere near the dog, all the posing is accomplished in Daz prior to placing it in AC3D.

Questions on the UV Mapper, what do I need this for? To reduce the number of Daz poly's?
Old 2nd November 2005, 01:52 AM   #4
griff
Professional user

Hi Hawk,

No UVMapper allows you to map textures onto an object/figure. It can be useful if you want to create different appearances (clothes) for the figure.

Some of the earlier "maps" on Daz figures were not exactly the best. If you read Steve Cox's tutorial on remapping (mentioned in my previous post) you can see the kinds of things you can do.

There are polygon reduction tools ... but they tend to be expensive ... and most have the undesirable effect of destroying the texture map UV co-ordinates (so you have to remap the figure).

If all you are doing is using the Daz figure for scaling ... don't worry about it. If you do need fewer polygons ... try some of the older Daz/Poser figures not the M3 or V3 figures.

I should point out that the scale Daz uses for their figures is about 50% of the VRML standard (1 unit in AC3D = 3 feet VRML).

griff
Old 2nd November 2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Hawk
Professional user

Thanks for your input.
Lets see if I understand what you have said.
1.The UVmapper only allows texturing, and feature modification, but it does not reduce polys if applied to the Daz object.
2.The high poly concern is because of slow screen loads within AC3D?
3.Earlier Daz image would be like Michael 2?
Thanks
Old 2nd November 2005, 04:08 PM   #6
griff
Professional user

Answers:
1 yes ... just for effectively "painting" your figure only.

2.A variety of reasons including loading into AC3D, also rendering a scene with the figure in it, and if you want to animate it.

3.There is a *polygon reduced* version of M3. Also a variety of figures including M2 and M1 and P2-4. All with lower polygon counts.

If all you are doing is using it as a scale, why not load it once into AC3D, draw a box around it, delete the figure, then save the box as your *measuring stick* in an ac3d format ?

griff
Old 2nd November 2005, 07:29 PM   #7
Hawk
Professional user

If all you are doing is using it as a scale, why not load it once into AC3D, draw a box around it, delete the figure, then save the box as your *measuring stick* in an ac3d format ?

That's exactly what I did when its a strickly a line drawing (Front flat ortho view), however when rendering in Photoshop as a persective view it needs the full Daz figure.

Thanks for you hints, tips and information, in any case.