Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th December 2010, 12:58 PM   #1
JeremyC

Default TCE and UV Map questions.

I've been trying for awhile now to produce something resembling a UV map out of AC3D. I'm alway juuuuust shy of filling in the UV map for whatever I'm makind

Here's what I'm doing
1. Use UV Map Tool, set to spherical along the Y-axis
2. Go to TCE and select the object.

My issues is I always have the odd vertice and line that are out of bounds of the UV map area, which will not work, mainly cause I've tried.

My questions is, if I use the TCE to edit vertices and line positioning, will edit be included if I then export as a .tga for SL?

Frankly, I'm at my wits end and close to deleting this. I've spent close to 40 hours now futzing with this program to zip avail, the only thing I can manage to export are the pre-made sculpties right, anything else I do produces so much crap when used in SL. This a great, easy to use program, but it simply isn't doing what I need
JeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: TCE and UV Map questions.

The uv map is important for the SL sculptie exporter to work.

Load the sample SL models that come with AC3D and use those as a start and look at the UV maps that those objects have set on them. See the tutirial sticky message in the tutorial forum for some sl/AC3D stuff.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
JeremyC

Alright, I did look at the pre-made sculpties UV maps as well as your fish UV map. I think I'm confused on something.

In TCE, the is a black line box, that if I understand correctly, must be completely filled in order to make a usable UV map. No vertices outside the line, no gaps on the inside between the UV map and the black lines. No overlapping lines, no overlapping vertices. Is all that correct, or I'm I wrong on one or some of those?

The Fish UV map does not look like it fills the black box completely. Is this because it's wireframe and the line along the outside is being obscured by the black line box?

Many of the sculpts I've made are very close, with only a few oddball vertices outside the black line box. If I manually adjust the vertices to inside the box, and then export as a UV map <without> re-mapping, will those manual edits be kept as part of the UV map, or can I only export a UV map that required no manual adjusting of vertices?

For reasons unknown, the common issue with those many sculpts is that the main body will fit the box correctly, but along the top and bottom edges I will have 2-3 vertices and lines shoot off to the right, in-line with those edges. Anyone know what could be causing this? Related to the previous questions, can I adjust those over, using Snap Together in TCE to position those off shoot vertices over the ones the connect to that are inside the line box?

Thanks
JeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
thietpas

I am in the position as the OP. Even when I start with a SL object, hell, even if it appears that all the vertices etc. are within the TCE bounds stated above, I have been having quite the time of it actually importing the .tga. I can essentially start with one of the SL objects provided, make minimal alterations as just a test and it still imports all quirky. If anyone has suggestions please provide them. I can come up with screen shots to illustrate how little sense this is making...
thietpas is offline   Reply With Quote