Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th March 2017, 03:17 PM   #1
jleslie
Expert member

Default extruding a polygon 8.0.80 can't get endcap, what am I doing wrong?

I just upgraded from 6.8.14 to 8.0.80 and while the extrude polygon works one way in 6.8.14 (the way I want,) I can't get the 8.0.80 to work the same way. The issue is the endcap, I can't the endcap on both sides of the extruded shape in 8.0.80. I've tried extruding the surface as well as the object, I've tried pulling and pushing, but no matter what I don't get the second endcap. Here are snapshots 6.8.14 vs 8.0.80:

What gives?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extrude060814_01.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	3539  

Name:	extrude060814_02.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	3540  

Name:	extrude060814_03.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	3541  

Name:	extrude080080_01.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	3542  

Name:	extrude080080_02.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	3543  

Name:	extrude080080_03.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	3544  

jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: extruding a polygon 8.0.80 can't get endcap, what am I doing wrong?

Pull the divider down (underneath the Mode panel) and you'll probably find that 'Remove orig' is ticked.
Attached Images

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 12:44 PM   #3
jleslie
Expert member

Hey!!!! look at that!!! its a drag partition and there are other options that were hidden!!! Thank you!!!!

FWIW, attention AC3D developers: there is supposed to be a drag bar indicator to the right of a boxed section if you can't see the entire box to tell the users there is more below. If you notice in the screen shot, the "Utils" boxed section is properly formed and has a drag bar to the right to tell users there is more that is not visible, When the Extrude box is too short and hides the last two checkboxes (as in my screencap shown in the original post,) you'll notice the Extrude option box does not have a drag bar on the right and I had no idea there were more options than cap end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	extrude080080_04_resolved.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	3546  

Last edited by jleslie; 5th March 2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 27th November 2018, 08:01 AM   #4
jasonic

Is that missing from 8.3.11 beta? It shows just gridsnap and select through for me.

Update: I used create convex surface under the vertex menu, but I don't think that's doing exactly the same operation - I end up with a seperate surface shape with duplicate vertices I think. This seems to be a backward step - I'm going back to a previous version which is a pity since the new import formats are a big benefit.

Last edited by jasonic; 27th November 2018 at 08:22 AM.
jasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Sean
Advanced member

As far as I recall from reading the manual, this is how it's supposed to work...
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 06:55 PM   #6
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

In 8.3, the additional (and sometimes confusing options) have been removed. Extrude now works in a similar way to other software, by simply adding extra polygons at edges of a selection.

This change is primarily due to the introduction of the Object->Thicken function. With Thicken, it's easy to create shapes and then extrude them, without worrying about normals and open/closed ends (some of the options that were previously in the older versions)

You might also want to use Vertex->Extrude-edges. Using this on a polygon and then dragging upwards will do the same as the previous extrude, where "cap-end" was de-selected - essentially creating a 'wall'of new polygons around the edges. Of course, you could also use Thicken and then delete some surfaces, to end up with the same shape.

As Sean mentioned, the manual (available from the Help menu in 8.3) has been updated to cover the new extrude and Thicken.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 04:01 PM   #7
jleslie
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
In 8.3, the additional (and sometimes confusing options) have been removed. Extrude now works in a similar way to other software, by simply adding extra polygons at edges of a selection.

This change is primarily due to the introduction of the Object->Thicken function. With Thicken, it's easy to create shapes and then extrude them, without worrying about normals and open/closed ends (some of the options that were previously in the older versions)

You might also want to use Vertex->Extrude-edges. Using this on a polygon and then dragging upwards will do the same as the previous extrude, where "cap-end" was de-selected - essentially creating a 'wall'of new polygons around the edges. Of course, you could also use Thicken and then delete some surfaces, to end up with the same shape.

As Sean mentioned, the manual (available from the Help menu in 8.3) has been updated to cover the new extrude and Thicken.

I just ran into this problem yet again I see that the "thicken" function replaces the extrude for the endcaps. It is of very poor design to not be backward compatible to what we are used to for the past 10 years. there is absolutely no good reason that you don't leave the extrude endcaps and have it simply do the thicken function. or if that is too difficult, leave the endcap check box greyed out, and when you click on it you get a pop-up explaining that this function has been depreciated and replaced with the thicken button.

It is not a good Idea to change your loyal customers workflow. At least I can come to the forum and find out what is going on. I understand your thought to try and attract other customers that "are used to" something different, however the reason I use AC3D INSTEAD of the others software is because I LIKE the way you do things instead of their way. Don't sacrifice your customer base for an attempt to add new ones. I cannot believe adding thicken required you to eliminate the endcaps. By leaving endcaps you would of pleased your customer base AND conformed to other software.

Last edited by jleslie; 8th February 2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 8th February 2019, 05:03 PM   #8
jleslie
Expert member

the thicken doesn't seem to work on a polygon. I made a polygon, I copied the polygon, and then did a object->thicken the results were not good:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	685.2 KB
ID:	3679