Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st July 2007, 05:48 PM   #11
Cynic
Expert member

Default Re: I'm new and learning. My WIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
lol, no, I meant isn't that the sdk stuff your looking for on that page.
Sorry, at 5AMish, I'm a bit drawn out and don't think too straight. My day starts at 3PMish and goes until I'm not thinking too clearly. But, getting back to you initial question:

There's more to it. Andy sent me some things and referred me to supercoldmilk.com for the rest.
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 08:50 AM   #12
Cynic
Expert member

Here's another small nibble. I work 3x12 so when a work week is in swing, I don't work on my projects. Today is an especially trying time. Bad day, very bad day.

Regardless, this is a wingcone section. I'm working on the lower part of the fuselage and the wings. The wingcone will go between the fuselage and the engine. This actually looks a a bit stubby, but I'll be able to scale as needed as I begin the assembly.

I'm thinking I may do decks as well, but as sideline to fill time when I get tired of programming, but thats for the future.
Old 28th July 2007, 04:48 AM   #13
Cynic
Expert member

This craft is supposed to be 45m long, the width is 95% of the length, so that means it's about 42.75m wide. However, I didn't want to work on something that was 45m long and 42.75m wide, so I did my best to scale it to 1/10th of it's design size. Working on such a micro level means that 0.0001 error makes a difference.

I think this made it as unwieldy as working on something the size of a full-sized battleship. However, I think on the next model, I'm going to try working full-size, so a 250m long ship is going be 250m in AC3D (I'd like to take an aside and state that every time I say AC3D, I actually say AC/DC).

Anyway, here is my progress so far. I worked on a side and mirrored real-time to get symmetry. It's still far from done and I need to tweak it a lot before I'm happy with the final appearance. I've included the two pieces I did earlier to show how they fit into the overall picture.

I want to take another aside and say, Andy, great tool you made here. I'm still so very happy it didn't get discarded from lack of customer interest.

Last edited by Cynic; 28th July 2007 at 04:51 AM.
Old 28th July 2007, 06:25 AM   #14
Cynic
Expert member

Here is a real-time mirrored hull after scaling and positioning sections of it:

Old 29th July 2007, 12:01 AM   #15
Cynic
Expert member

Default Nearing completion.

I think some tweaking is needed for the nose cone, but I'm wanting to start painting it now. I'm reading Lisa's tutorial now, so I hope it helps.

Last edited by Cynic; 29th July 2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 1st August 2007, 10:58 PM   #16
Wiggles
Expert member

Default Re: Nearing completion.

looking good

Good luck, painting isn't as easy as I thought it was. I've been using a combination of paint and gimp.
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 06:45 PM   #17
Cynic
Expert member

Since I have a testbed model, I've now put other modeling aside to work on a peripheral program I like to call: Fisix.

It's purpose is when given the model geometry, a mass and scale, it calculates several physical quantities about the model, such as volume, density, moments of inertia, center of mass, center of percussion, etc.

The scale is a multiplier. If you designed your model at 1/7th the scale, then you would need to specify a seven to bring it to actual size. You can't scale the mass and get the same values for the physical quantities/qualities, so it must work with a 1:1 scale.

Where possible, these quantities are done to the best possible accuracy, using tensors.

It used to read in a triangle file (only supported format so far) but after some tinkering with conversion to something internally representable, I've gone back and started rewriting the reader code to do the file read and conversion in one process.

It's going well and my old programming knowledge is coming back fast. It's a bit more sticky doing a binary search on a multi-variable key, but I'm still highly motivated to make this game. I think I've got it right, but I'll need to compile and test (nothing I write works the first time).

Last edited by Cynic; 7th August 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 7th August 2007, 10:45 PM   #18
Wiggles
Expert member

what, lol.

I didn't understand much of that

I understood the words, i don't think its sinking in yet though
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 06:47 AM   #19
Cynic
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
what, lol.

I didn't understand much of that

I understood the words, i don't think its sinking in yet though
Suffice it to say, it should make a starship behave according the laws of physics. No burners or neutral drops in space, no need to tilt against the turn (to maintain traction), no sound! (except inside), no transporters, no replicators, etc.
Old 15th August 2007, 06:33 PM   #20
Cynic
Expert member

Freaking spent the past two weeks trying to solve the problem of inserting vertices into a list in sorted order w/o duplicates. I'm so out of practice in programming. I went about it in a way that was vastly more complicated than it
needed to be. In the end, it was really, really simple.

Code:
int vertex_find ( VRL **vrl, FVERTEX *v, int eol )
{
	int beg = 0, mid, end;
	int v_idx = -1;

if ( eol > 0 )
	{
		end = eol - 1;
		mid = end / 2;

while ( beg <= end )
		{
			if( v->x < vrl[mid]->v.x )
				end = mid - 1;
			else if ( v->x > vrl[mid]->v.x )
				beg = mid + 1;
			else  // We have a match on the x.
			{
				// Try and match the y.
				if ( v->y < vrl[mid]->v.y )
					end = mid - 1;
				else if (v->y > vrl[mid]->v.y)
					beg = mid + 1;
				else  // Matched the y, now, try and match the z.
				{
					if ( v->z < vrl[mid]->v.z )
						end = mid - 1;
					else if (v->z > vrl[mid]->v.z)
						beg = mid + 1;
					else
					{
						// we have a complete match. 
                                                // Force the loop to terminate.
						beg = end + 1;
                                                // Record the position in the list.
						v_idx = mid;
					}
				}
			}
			mid = beg + (end - beg) / 2;
		}
	}
	return v_idx;
}
I need to stop maiking it more difficult than it needs to be. I also need to make two more sort routines now. One that sorts by Y coords and another that sorts by Z. For this, it may suffice to make it generic, as I tried with the list builder, but since I'll be keying off one value, it won't be as complicated.

Last edited by Cynic; 15th August 2007 at 06:36 PM.