Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th August 2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Objects "lathed" along a path?

Forgive me if this is a RTFM type of question, but I actually did RTFM, and couldn't seem to locate what I'm looking for.

Closest to it seems to be "Revolve". But, what if I don't want a perfectly round object? Suppose, I want inner ribs or bulkheads of an aircraft? So I want to take a __|—|__ shaped object and "lathe it along a path of vertices copied directly from my fuselage cylinder contours. Or perhaps a Line or Polyline of any shape of my choosing.

Is there a way to do this easily without the need to do a lot of pulling and pressing on the "revolved" circle to get the same result?

I actually managed to do this with Revolve, but wasn't quite satisfied with the result (or the number of steps it took to do it).

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 06:07 PM   #2
luuckyy
Professional user

Maybe the wave plugin could help you ?

Oops sorry, just wanted to give an answer ops: :lol:
luuckyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 11:06 PM   #3
BD Ford

try the replicator function. Basically you can extrude a section once or several times, and can also offset the position and rotation of the section at each step, also scale them at each step although the scale and position shift will apply to all steps of the process - thus if scaling X and Z by 0.8 this will be applied at each new section - you will have a tapered shape.

I was playing with this function today and was impressed how useful this can be - you could make a tapered fuselage, or as I was, making trees that tapered in the trunk then moving the vertices at joints to get twisted and bent trunks (australian eucalypts)
Old 18th August 2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Stiglr
Professional user

I'll have to try that, thanx.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 01:28 PM   #5
griff
Professional user

A few months back while evaluating AC3D V5, I noticed that the *replicator* tool may in fact be better than the *revolve* tool in some circumstances for creating objects by extruding with scale and angle parameters. Essentially the *visible lines and hidden surfaces* problem again. http://www.ac3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1240

An example here, the green object created with revolve :

Its too bad the *extrude* option in replicator is not available in V3.6

One of the tools I have often wished for is a genuine *taper* tool that allows objects to be scaled in a non-uniform fashion ... maybe one day ;-)

I think these kinds of discussions show how people like AC3D ... and use it inventively. This forum is also a benefit .... as it allows the passing on of ideas and tricks which prevents everyone from *reinventing the wheel*. And one day ... we will have all these additions

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 08:42 PM   #6
BD Ford

you can do non uniform tapers using replicator as you can select the amount of scale on each axis, so you can go from a round face, and extrude to an elipse
Old 20th August 2005, 12:20 AM   #7
griff
Professional user

Yes I appreciate that BD, I was thinking of tapering as in this example of a sphere tapered into an eggshape..

I think if I put my mind to it it might be doable with the replicator/extrude a disc ... but it would probably take some care.

And maybe demand for such a tool is limited .... just something I've done on occasion ...using other software and importing.

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote