Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th December 2005, 06:17 AM   #1
kargrafx

Default VERY simple question - I think...

Okay, here is what I want to do for now. I plan to get more involved in the future, but at the moment, my only 3D needs are this - a sphere which is split into 8 sections (split in half on each vertice), with each section a different color.

I figured out how to make a sphere - that is too easy. Then I figured out how to select and delete individual vertices to remove all but the one section. But when I try to draw lines and connect them to the (now hollow) 1/8 sphere section, to make it solid looking, it doesn't work at all for me.

Does anyone understand what I am wanting? I'm tired and probably being too vague. If you DO understand me, can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks!
kargrafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 06:40 AM   #2
Hawk
Professional user

Hello, after you have your 1/8 sphere (Open sides), use the poly tool and follow the shape of the end, clicking and aligning on each vertex of the open face of the spheres open end shape, move this new shape into position on the 1/8 sphere, and give it a color. You may now rotate this new shape to the other open side or create a new poly for the other two openings. You may assign seperate colors to each item.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 02:51 PM   #3
griff
Professional user

hi kargrafx,

If you mean you want to create something like an orange with segments try this :

1. Create an ellipse in shape of a circle at the orgin in the front view (I used 16 for number of points). Set the object to Poly
2. In Vertex mode - hilite all the points to the left (or right) of the orgin - then cut. You now have a segment cross-section
3. In Object mode - Revolve the object - degrees=45 segments=1
4. Set the resulting object to 1 Side, and flip normals as necessary.

You now have one complete solid segment. To make a complete sphere add this step:

5. In Object mode- Tools --> Replicator with following settings : Copies=7, Rotation=45, Rotation about origin.

This generates a sphere shape but it will have lots of hidden surfaces, so before you carry this step out, you might want to rotate the segment by its base with the mouse. Then do the replicate, This way you can see all the pieces ... like an orange with all the segments seperated.

If you want to create more segments then the revolve and rotation values will be different, as will the number of copies for the replicate.... I leave that math to you ;-)

Each segment or piece appears in hierarchy so select each one and set material as appropriate.

Hope that is what you are looking for.

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 02:54 PM   #4
griff
Professional user

I forgot to say ... when replicating the Rotation=45 around the Y axis (set the center box for rotation to 45.

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote