Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th September 2004, 01:31 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Default Can we SNAP to nearpoints while dragging?

I noticed we can only snap to nearpoint when drawing (and sometimes it wont snap, must be newbie error).

When I draw a box with grid off, any size... then turn grid on and draw another box, I cannot then position the 2nd box onto the 1st box. Buy moving grid distances, I am either too close or too far from the 1st box edge.

Is there a one-step way to snap the 2nd box to the first box's edge (I tried using 2 vertices, but when snapping that method, it will move the box to a corner).

Thanks
dre99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2004, 02:37 PM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Yep - you can move one box to another so that the vertices touch. Select one vertex from each box and use Vertex->snap-objects-by-vertex. Once the boxes are lined up, you can move them up and down (hold down the control key whilst dragging).

Alternatively, select the vertices of sides of the boxes and resize sideways to zero width. This will move all the vertices so that they line up. If you want the boxes to be specific sizes, use size-to on the control panel.

Note that nearsnap works in three dimensions so points need to be 'close' in all directions before they will snap together.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2004, 04:33 PM   #3
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Ok, that works. I understand the nearsnap now.

It is quicker selecting two verticies, snap-to-object, and using the CTRL-scroll mouse (just noticed CTRL lets you only move within the axis?). Without the CTRL, I would move the box enough that it would move back away from the vertex again.... tough to do.

Those verticies are so SMALL I have a hard time clicking on them... If I try making a box around the vertex (easier), it will select all the vertices that line up with it. So that method won't go.

But I was hopinng there was a one-click method, like a "snap to nearest surface". This way, I can draw boxes galore, and just move them next to each other. Software would automatically "join" them for me.

The CTRL-scroll I think will help.

This brings another question.... If I have a box on the front plane. I want to draw another box right in front of it. If the 1st box was moved quite a bit from the center, the 2nd drawn box would appear to be in front of the 1st box, but on the other axis, the box would be way behind it, or way in front of it. Any new object I create seems to "start" at one of the axis lines (x y or z). Is this default by nature?
Old 10th September 2004, 04:38 PM   #4
dre99gsx
Advanced member

Hmmm... I think the 2nd question is done by using ALT-mouse move (moveing that 3D cross hair). I still noticed any shape draw will allways move away from axis lines. Thats fine anywho.
Old 11th September 2004, 07:26 AM   #5
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Why not use Edit->duplicate (control-D)? Or copy+paste then drag the new box to a new location? Or, if you are making a lot of boxes, use the Tools->replicator.

Alt mouse moves the 3d cursor. This is used to spcify the 'missing 3rd dimension' when you are working in a 2D window. From what I've seen, most people don't use this because it's so easy to create something and drag it into position.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote