Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th August 2003, 10:14 PM   #1
Razer
Professional user

Default Hey guys...

Just thought I'd say hey since andy just showed me this forum. I'm currently modeling some WW2 aircraft for an online flight sim and fiugred I'd show you guys what I've done with AC3D.

Here is the game website. You can check the screenshots for pics of the planes. Pretty much all planes but the japanese ones were made with AC3D.

http://web.targetrabaul.com/index.php

Here is some pics of work i've done with AC3D.

Tony "Razer" Martin
---------------------------
http://www.fshangar.com
http://web.targetrabaul.com

ModelMaker/PixelPusher
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2003, 03:53 PM   #2
StarTux

Default Re: Hey guys...

Awesome work!

Still trying to get the basics down here .

Takes time and patience as far as I can tell as I want to add planes to FlightGear (about the only Flightsim running on Linux, but its actually pretty good...).

Matt
StarTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2003, 04:20 PM   #3
-WOODY-
Professional user

Great job Razor. I love the old weathered skin jobs you've done to the planes. The Navy Dauntless skin job looks great as well.
-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2003, 11:31 PM   #4
Cowboybebop
Professional user

That's some great work Razor

Any tips or list of do nots for us newbies ?
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2003, 09:44 PM   #5
Razer
Professional user

a ton! I pretty much learn something new everyday and always finding new ways to do things.

I've helped a good group of people learn AC3D for another sim I use to work on and some of my old ways no longer need to be done with the newest version of AC3D.

Any areas you're having problems with?
Old 16th October 2003, 12:18 AM   #6
Cowboybebop
Professional user

Well I only been using AC3d for about 2 weeks now.

But my buggest problem would have to be texturing using the texture coordinate editor. A example is when i first did the car tutorial, I was able to get the sides of the car textured fine but when I tried the top it would take backwards, then the whole texture and the more I tried correcting it the more it got messed up.
Some other problems are I saw a few models of modern planes and wanted to try a few(I was expecting poor looking ones, my skill level) but I have problems drawing a smooth fuselage/cockpits the only way I can get things to remotely resemble shapes of models I want is to edit every vertex.
Curved surfaces- example doing the car tutorial with rounded bumpers and overall appearance.
Currently I started on a beach scene small island, rock, and a palm tree. When I added water it seems to take away the 3d perspective of the land(land slopes so it appears to blend into water flatly) so I tried using a texture with a alpha channel in hopes that it would show the land underneath but still reflective when rendered in povray but it's not really working. Also I have no idea where to start with the palm tree branches, palms or whatever it's called. Each approach seems to work intensive(drawing each one) and yield poor results(looks horrible)

I guess overall I'm making the transition from hand drawing to computer drawing. So I think I need to look at it different but I don't know how, with hand art it's easy line, color, light, shadow and etc. With Computer art I know lighting is important and textures that's about it. I know some terminology but haven't worked with 3d modeling before outside of trying a few demo products.
Old 16th October 2003, 11:24 AM   #7
Cowboybebop
Professional user

I hope I did not scare you off :cry:
Old 16th October 2003, 11:25 AM   #8
Razer
Professional user

i'll go into more detail about the TCE later but to give you a better idea of making planes in AC3D you need to use the ellipse command a bunch. Draw an ellipse when move the vetices where you want them. Great blue prints or 3 - view drawings of the plane is a must on making the plane so its 1:1 with the real plane.

Load up your planes in the windows (i'll go more into this as well) then draw an ellipse and move the vertices to say the shape of the middle most part of the fuselage.

Then drag the ellipse to the nose of the plane and extrude it the lengh of the plane making sure you have enough segments to mold the new cylinder the shape of the fuselage. Don't worry about gear doors, cockpits, or tails. your just wanting the basic shape for now then you can go back and add details.

I'm heading off to work but i'll fill in the blanks more when i get back.
Old 16th October 2003, 11:59 AM   #9
-WOODY-
Professional user

The most important thing to have when it comes to modeling is patience. Everthing is done in stages, a little here, a little there. Even a great oil painting is created in stages. You start out with a rough sketch then add in your basic shapes. You then go on to build up layers of color until you have the finished product.
Think of modeling the same way. Don't have it in mind that when you start, it's going to look like the finished product right off the bat. As far as your texture editor, when you bring it up just click and drag a box over your vertices to select them all, then in the lower left hand corner you'll see 2 buttons that read "cw", and "ccw" which stands for clockwise and counter clockwise. Just hit the button till your texture spins around to the right direction.
As far as plane modeling, you'll definately need at least 3 views of a plane to go off of. Top, side, and front view will be needed. When you start, just go to front view and create an elipse and size it so it matches the size and shape of the nose. Select all the vertices then click on "surface" then extrude the elipse maybe an 1/8 of the way toward the back of the plane. Now select all vertices of the newly extruded section then look at it in top view. Scale it to size from the top view, then go to side view and scale it to height while moving it up or down to match the picture.
Continue doing this, extruding and scalling, till you finish off the tail. Depending on how much detail you want, you may only have to extrude 7 to 10 times.
As far as your water thing, you can adjust the reflective level and transparency levels by right clicking on the color in the bottom left corner the select edit.
-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 02:19 PM   #10
Cowboybebop
Professional user

So just get good basic shapes and slowly build on them ? Ok, I thought I was missing something because some people come up with this stuff overnight it seems, thanks you 2, for taking the time to talk to me and for your kind words.

I really what you guys to know your words really help me, I popped open AC3d and Instantly knew what I needed to do to finish the scene. However I'm going to take my time implementing the changes so far so good I pulled the land out of the water and raised it up a bit it helps with the 3d look, I'll revist transparent water when I know how to do it ops: . I'm going to start making the palms from circles and after that get back to the plane. I even made the land bigger cause I plan to add a hut.