Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th October 2003, 06:17 PM   #11
Razer
Professional user

Default Re: Hey guys...

people that do things over night (like myself) have been doing this for years and we've learnwed a few ways to speed up the construction.
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 08:04 PM   #12
Cowboybebop
Professional user

That says a lot about this program, that veteran\elite 3d Modelers use it

I'm more comfortable with my basic level of skill now and I'm just trying to push it to the limits ops: (already there) Seriously though I can't explain it you and woody helping me or just interacting with me keeps me just as motivated no, even more so than just before I was reasearching AC3D. I do have a couple more questions; when editing vertices and you delete a certain one and the line turns blue how do you patch\fix that ? I use to use optimized vertices/surface but on certain shapes they skewed the model. And Lastly what additional tools do you use ?

Woody introduced me to pov-ray and I am loving it
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 08:34 PM   #13
-WOODY-
Professional user

Well if you've accidentaly deleted a vertice, the only thing I can think of to do is just "control-Z" to get it back.
If you can't get it back by doing that, just select each vertice around the hole in a counter clockwise motion then select "vertice" in your menu then go down to "create ordered surface". Hopefully that'll get it back.

BTW Razor, have you thought about doing any kind of modding for Battlefield 1942? I wish AC3D had a plug-in for that.
-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 08:52 PM   #14
Razer
Professional user

why do you need to select the vertices counterclock wise?

I did models for old school Rainbow 6 with a weapons pack i did. Started to work on models for Flashpoint ww2 mod but then halfway thru we found out you need oxygen to model (something just for flashpoint). I've also done a ton of planes for a great flight sim called Fighter Squadron (best phyics in any game ever made) then started working on a Medal of Honor Pacific mod but that did work out with project leader problems and while working on textures for Warbirds 3 I got into TW stuff witht he game you see above.

If i had more time i've love to do something for BF but most of the cool ideas are already in the works.
Old 16th October 2003, 08:59 PM   #15
-WOODY-
Professional user

If you select your vertices's in a counter clockwise progression, it will cause the normal to face outward the right way. Clockwise will cause the normal to face inward.

Yep, there are tons of mods for BF, my favorite being Desert Combat. That's about all I play anymore. Haven't played many flight sim type of games. I have an old copy of LII Stumovick ( spelling? ), but hardly ever played it. It was fun, but I'm more of a ground pounder. Nothing like firing a shell in a T-72 to get your blood pumping.
Modding for it is tough because EA wont release an SDK. At least not yet.
Old 17th October 2003, 07:52 AM   #16
Cowboybebop
Professional user

Hey woody, now when I try rendering in pov-ray no matter what the 3d view is I get a black screen. The only thing I can think of is if I made things to big, is that possible
Cowboybebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 11:47 AM   #17
-WOODY-
Professional user

That's probably your camera view, not Pov-Ray. When I open a saved file or I just got through saving my current scene, I just go to view in the menu bar and select "view to orgin" then re-adjust where I want the camera to point at.
For some reason you have to reset it now and then or it just points out into space which is probably what happend.
Old 18th October 2003, 12:42 AM   #18
PeteyPixel

Default Hey Woody

Instead of extruding out the shape with ellipses, did you ever consider just using the convex surface function in the vertex menu? It will automatically drag the shape of the fuselage through all of those verts. Not always perfect, and it should only be used to model simple paths (ie. just the fuselage, not fuselage and wings). The good thing about it is that the vertex's on each ellipse don't have to match up or be the same number and you can move the vertex's after the shape has been created. Much easier. Then you can boolean out your holes or just cut the fuselage yourself with the insert vertex function. Just some info. Peace
PeteyPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 12:54 AM   #19
PeteyPixel

Default One More Thing

With booleans, make sure the model is basically done and the spot that you are going to cut or union isn't going to be included in any type of vertex or bone animation. Booleans achieve their drama by mish mashing the vertex's into one congruent shape. Congruent but not orderly. Try smoothing or splining an intersection and you'll see what I mean. Make sure the object, sphere or cylinder is set to the right resolution level. If you can't achieve what you want you can still use the convex function by placing an ellipse where the cabin is or where the wings extend. Then just extrude the wings or move the verts in the cabin into position after deleting out the shape.
PeteyPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 01:02 AM   #20
Razer
Professional user

here is a good tut from another game i've done stuff one and its for AC3D.

http://www.wingswithwires.com/chicke...se5a/index.htm