Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd June 2006, 08:33 PM   #11
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

Default Re: Truespace

I have used blender. meh it was alright not my favorite tool to use I mean its not very userfriendly. I also have downloaded cybermotion. I dont really like that program lets just say its to confusing.
nightoftheroundtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 05:50 PM   #12
foxa
Professional user

Angry Re: Truespace

My experince with Truespace was very frustrating. I started out with V3 which I got free with a magazine CD, then I updated to 4.5 on sale and never got it to work right. Customer support was dissapointing at best. I currently use AC3D, Silo, and I am learning Hexagon 2.0. Each program has strengths and weaknesses. If I have to come up with some thing fast - I always run home to AC3D, You can't beat the support or the community, good luck.

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 06:57 PM   #13
BigDAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainj2410
About how much is that in American dollars?
Around $155.00.

I have use Truespace when it was first published, and considered it a nice, simple alternative to 3DS Max and Lightwave. Unfortuantly, as has been said, it has become and expensive monster, still cheaper than the above mentioned, but it tries to do too much with too much effort.
I plan to create models for my Orbiter Space Flight Simulator and have considered many options, like Blender, Meshmaker and other that accept the Orbiter .MSH format. So far, this program is the most compatable and easiest to use, with the addition of the special MSH plug-in.

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/
BigDAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 03:41 AM   #14
Gernot
Expert member

I've just tried the demo. On one computer I was unable to even get it running, Then the GUI is very confusing, old style and complicated. Well, i dumped it. Though they are sending me emails every week, so you can get it for half price all the time.

About Blender: You should have taken two months of learning I wasted a very lot of time on Blender, because I needed animations. Now that I got a hold of it, I like it (for animations). Modelling with AC3D is the best I've ever come across so far - and I don't see any point in switching.

Just my .02$
Old 15th July 2006, 12:00 PM   #15
BigDAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernot
About Blender: You should have taken two months of learning I wasted a very lot of time on Blender, because I needed animations. Now that I got a hold of it, I like it (for animations). Modelling with AC3D is the best I've ever come across so far - and I don't see any point in switching.

Just my .02$
Yes, Blender is a bit intimidating, not for the amateur for sure. I indend to work with it and explore it's features, but don't expect to do any animations, as Orbiter's framework has it's own propriety animation codes.

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/
BigDAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 06:13 PM   #16
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

well even an amature can figure out a few decent things with blender.

I am an amature modeler at best. I have found blender to be useful from time to time but nothing more.

I still preferr ac3d over all.

But I am currently doing some research on maya which I will be investing in.

till then I am still learning how to use ac3d to my advantage. every program has strong points and weak points.

cheers

add this to your signature if you are a thinker.

Quote from me Daniel Reed a.k.a "nightoftheroundtable"
Old 24th October 2006, 07:15 AM   #17
Xjazz

Never tried TrueSpace

Blender comments here. Let me add my 2c

I'm very amateur part time modeler with ~1.5 year 3D modeling and ~9 months of python coding experience.

I tested/used AC3D since version 5.0 several times, because of my hobby modeling demand the AC3D format (very nice format) . The AC3D is nice but the hierarchy tree building and properties managing were clumsy at the best. I was hoping the AC3D 6.0 would solve this problem but no. This was a show stopper for me.

I took a fast glance to the Blender... Naaah! Way too complex! Later on I took a very good look to the Blender modeling and more I study it more I like it. The GUI with key commands really started to make a sense. Also Blender running much smooteher & faster on my aged ~1.5GHz CPU, 1G 333MHzRAM plus GF4 T14200 64M VRAM pc.

After I learned some python coding I could heavily modify the original Blender’s AC3D export script to meet my needs like; very easy one screen hierarchy tree and properties managing in Blenders text object editor.

Only things what I’m missing from AC3D are polylines and NGON’s. Well, maybe someday I can code those too.
Xjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 03:32 PM   #18
CGMike

I've tried Truespace/Gamespace several times. Every time it's the same.. I just cannot get my head around the interface, which is supposed to be easier to use than the more traditional 3/1 view layout (3 orthographic/1 3D). I also hear the support is terrible and if you post in their forums about bugs with the software, they'll delete the topic. I've heard a couple times of people being banned because they "persisted" in discussing issues with the software in their forums. Very difficult to trust a company that goes to such lengths to silence any kind of negative info about its product.

As for Blender... it is a very odd piece of software.. but very, very powerful. It's a modeler, texturer, animator, non-linear video editing suite and even game-engine in one. And while the interface is confusing, it does make sense once you start working with it. Each new version is becoming easier and easier to use I find.

Still.. I like the straight forward, "obvious" setup of AC3D, which is why I continue to use it. Things just work the way I would expect them to.
CGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 03:58 PM   #19
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

thats sad that truespace has bad customer service. I have used truespace3.2 once the surface interface is a little complex. but you really can't do much with it.

add this to your signature if you are a thinker.

Quote from me Daniel Reed a.k.a "nightoftheroundtable"
Old 26th October 2006, 03:24 AM   #20
Gernot
Expert member

That's terrible. I've seen the AC3D tutorials for 4.x where they do texturing and I know I found _my_ program. I'm not a good artist, but with AC3D I can create low poly models very fast. That's all I need.
Animations would be great, but I guess they never come.