Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th July 2007, 05:06 AM   #11
lisa
Professional user

Default Slackers

Djork (82, 208, 24)
Slackers is a small coffee shop, but they have a live DJ practically every weekend and often through the week. Great place to just hang out, dance and chat with friends. Their signature groove is pajama night, where everyone dances in their jammies.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 05:07 AM   #12
lisa
Professional user

Default Transformers

Sector 7 (131, 61, 162)
I can't say if the film is any good, because I haven't seen it yet, but the official Transformers movie sim is a blast. Great sets and free robot avatars to be had. When I was there, it certainly seemed to be a mecca for giant robot enthusiasts--you'll notice a two Gundam and a Power Ranger having a conversation in the pic... joined shortly thereafter by robot scorpion.

Old 25th July 2007, 05:07 AM   #13
lisa
Professional user

Default Lost Gardens of Apollo

Apollo (115, 184, 23)
Exquisite gardens perfect for just relaxing. Ride the boats, wade in the floating pools, enjoy the art or just watch the sunset.
Old 25th July 2007, 05:48 AM   #14
coldby
Professional user

Question What the heck?

Lisa, you made me curious. Maybe I've been too much of a workaholic hermit in the last months (or was it years?) and as a result I haven't the slightest clue about what Second Life actually is, other than a vague something that my son once tried to show me and I discarded at once as little relevant (ah, the conceitedness of a father!). Now I feel a sort of Inuit in the Sahara, as if I had missed both the intro and the demo
Would you mind telling me in a whisper where I can find them?

Thanks a lot!

coldby
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 09:38 PM   #15
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Second Life

Second Life is a persistent online world built entirely from user-created content. More than just user-created however, the content is user-owned... meaning, users retain full rights to what they make and are not only allowed but actively encouraged to buy, sell and share what they’ve created. The in-world currency is directly exchangeable for US dollars and other currencies. Right now, the currency exchange rate is about $270 L to $1 USD, making the in-world currency slightly higher valued than many 3rd world nations.

Second Life often gets lumped in as a game or MMORPG, but most “residents” (users) would generally argue that terminology, as there are no high scores, no missions or objectives, no experience points nor any of the other things that would make it a “game” in the traditional sense. No one is quite sure what to call it, but many researchers and the news media have been using the term “social media platform”, which is probably as good a description as any. Because there are so many ways to use it for communication and collaboration as well as entertainment, many schools and universities as well as big corporations are experimenting with it. Harvard, Ohio University and many other schools have built working campuses where they are experimenting with remote-learning. It’s even gotten enough attention that Reuters has an in-world news desk.

In fact, this video from Reuters is an excellent “whirlwind tour” if you’ve never seen SL before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsSmZAqL6tQ

Second Life is a really great outlet for creativity because you can make pretty much, well... anything. You can upload textures, video and even animations, and everything can be scripted to do stuff. I’ve made fish that really swim, cockroaches, spaceships... you name it.

If you want to try it, here’s the link to the client, which is free to download: http://secure-web9.secondlife.com/co.../downloads.php

There’s no charge for basic accounts. It only costs money if you want to buy stuff from other residents, own land or upload textures. AC3D is a big savings there... lets you make sure you got it right *before* you upload!
Old 26th July 2007, 03:30 AM   #16
coldby
Professional user

Why thanks, Lisa!
It sounds like a rather addictive activity though... I think I'll try it all the same, but not before I've arrangeded a timer to turn off my computer after eight hours or so - finding my skeleton, mouse still in hand, before the PC might sadden the whole day to my beloved ones...
coldby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 09:43 AM   #17
Wiggles
Expert member

thanks lisa, i'm still stuck on help island, there's quite a bit to take in.
Wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 04:57 PM   #18
lisa
Professional user

Glad you decided to check it out! It's fun.
Old 26th July 2007, 05:01 PM   #19
lisa
Professional user

Oh... If anyone wants to say hi, send me a private mesage on the forum here, and I'll send you a friend invite in-world so we can find each other!