Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st January 2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Waterford
Advanced member

Default Re: Texture Mapping

Hahaha, always have a chuckle when people ask, its called, SportsCar GT, grand old game, first released in 1999, has been modded with probably 300new tarck and there must be over 2000 cars.

There are many better game with high res cars ... but it just a lot of new stuff to learn to get a car in game ....my enjoyment is modelling, so my lazy bones don't want to learn the new build scenarios ....

I have done all the ALMS LMP1 & 2 cars for this year but the Creation and Zytek, which I am starting now .... ( if that means anything to anyone but another motorhead ...)

Steve
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 03:11 PM   #12
Toronto
Professional user

Steve,
As a hobby I've been putting cars into a game called rFactor, which you've probably heard of.
It's newer and more highly detailed than SCGT, but actually has some similarities to SCGT.
Some of the game parameters from SCGT are still used in rFactor.
We should collaborate on some project.

Last edited by Toronto; 21st January 2008 at 05:46 PM.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Waterford
Advanced member

Actually tried to help with an rFactor project but failed miserably ... just didn't understand how it fit together and have never installed rFactors to see the cars. The models the guys were working on were very nice and not really have the poly restriction sure would make for a better model that is for sure. I try to keep mine at under 2000, haven't done it yet but keep trying. Would love to see some of your work .... you do cars or the "skins" ?

Steve
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Toronto
Professional user

I've mostly made the small stuff from wheels, tires, steering wheels, suspension parts, exhaust, etc......
I struggle with the body shell, as in rFactor they must be very very smooth or it becomes clearly visible.
Flaws in rFactor models which are not completely smooth are easy to see and even shadow where they are not fully smooth.
There is a nack to making low poly models that are still very smooth.
Send me a note if you want to give rFactor another try.
Putting cars ingame is not that difficult.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 07:25 AM   #15
Chas

Ha - I finally found the car texturing tutorial [no sound and an older version of AC3D] but its here; http://www.inivis.com/ac3d/tutorials/carbody/

I should mention to any fellow complete noobs; when you select some faces to texture and then drag them outside the black box in the 'coordinator' click the grey area and then the selected shape will go from green to a red skeleton outline
When you then go to select some new faces (having deselected the previous faces, maybe by clicking outside the object in the 3d window) the previous skeleton outline WILL disappear, but dont panic because these skeletons will all reappear when you select the whole of the object at the end - This allows you to rearrange and resize your skeletons to fit inside the black square ready to copy into your painting program.
Of course, for a simple one texture job; go to Object => Texture, load the texture and then match the overall sizes in the texture coordinator.

As clear as mud I suspect

Waterford; you seem to have a really organised way of colour coding your texture mapping -how does your system work, roughly?
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 08:29 AM   #16
Keith Sweeting

I wondered if anyone out there could give me a "click-by-click" intro to the Texture Coordinate Editor?
I am starting with a simple model of a railway goods wagon (rectangular in plan and elevation with a curved roof).
I have got as far as loading the texture etc, and I can see the texture in the TCE, but I cannot seem to put the right textures on the correct sides of the Model. I try the front then the back and then both sides, but every time I change to each facia, the textures change on the other faces. I have seen the Layouts in your tutorials where each side of the model is laid out on the overall texture but I can only see one at a time before I change to another facia and then it all goes haywire.
Please help!!
Keith Sweeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 02:29 PM   #17
fusedgore
Expert member

Keith its actually not as hard as it sounds .All you need to do is use photoshop to make the texture map then ,click load texture ,then hit the texture cord editor and apply a texture to each part of the model.Make sure you have the object surface selected then you can select different parts of the model and apply the texutre to it .
fusedgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 04:43 PM   #18
Greasetattoo
Expert member

Keith,
Search the forums for "texture mapping", you should find plenty of help.
Hope this helps.
Grease
Greasetattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 04:19 AM   #19
lisa
Professional user

Here's an old thread on texturing that might be helpful:
http://www.inivis.com/forum/showpost...2&postcount=10
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 10:30 AM   #20
Keith Sweeting

I have to thank you for your input Fusedgore. You gave me a very valuable sentence "Make sure you have the object surface selected then you can select different parts of the model and apply the texutre to it ." I had put two solids together Extruded Cube and extruded Elliptical to get the roof curvature and I tried to selct the surfaces and couldn't. Thank you once again.
Keith Sweeting is offline   Reply With Quote