Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th May 2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Breems

Default PERFECT Alignment

Hi all!

I've just recently joined the wonderful worl... errrr... universe of 3d modeling and am very much a novice.

I've taken the time to learn the basics and am working on small-scale things such as simple houses and stacks of boxes. I've discovered a small problem, though... I can't seem to perfectly align objects. I use Quickgrid and Gridsnap together and they look perfectly aligned in the orth views, but in 3d view and Inspect Mode, you can clearly see where the edges meet:

I thought for a moment that this was simply the way AC3D rendered the objects on the screen, perhaps to show the user the extents of individual objects. However, even when exported and, in my case, imported into a game, the "seams" are still visible in the model. What's the deal?

Last edited by Breems; 8th May 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Breems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Dennis-W
Advanced member

Default Re: PERFECT Alignment

That's a face .
Select the 4 verts in vert mode, then switch to surface mode and press delete, that should fix it.

FYI, this won't be seen in a game or a render (at least not the game I'm modeling for.), but it's cleaner and less recourse hogging to remove all unnecessary polygons.
Dennis-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Breems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis-W View Post
That's a face .
Of course it is.

Quote:
Select the 4 verts in vert mode, then switch to surface mode and press delete, that should fix it.
Deleting the face indeed fixed it. Earlier, however, (with a different object) I had fragmented the entire object and after assigning textures to all visible faces, I used the "Select Objects With Texture - None" plugin and deleted them. I figured that would do the same thing. Must've missed something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis-W View Post
FYI, this won't be seen in a game or a render (at least not the game I'm modeling for.), but it's cleaner and less recourse hogging to remove all unnecessary polygons.
Well, it actually was showing up in the game (which is why I wanted it removed), but keep in mind I'm modding an ancient game here.
Breems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Dennis-W
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breems View Post
Earlier, however, (with a different object) I had fragmented the entire object and after assigning textures to all visible faces, I used the "Select Objects With Texture - None" plugin and deleted them. I figured that would do the same thing. Must've missed something.
Maybe you've accidently selected that face as well.
Selecting the 4 verts and switching to surface mode is the easiest option along with selecting all in surface mode and deselecting everything but what you want to remove .
Dennis-W is offline   Reply With Quote