Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd May 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
brett

Default 3ds max to ac3d

Okay, so I have a model of a street built, with buildings, signs, roads, sidewalks... ect... built in 3ds max, and when i tried to import it into a different program for simulation use, none of the textures came in. (.3ds file format). When contacted, the company told us that exporting from ac3d might work, so i just downloaded and imported a single building on the street into the program using .3ds format once again, and cant seem to get textures to show up here either. I used bitmaps using jpegs for the most part to make the buildings, and those images are mapped onto my buildings in certain places, and there's usually more than 1 material used per building. Is there any way i can do this without having to individually go through and texture each object again? Thanks in advance.

In addition, is there any way to import a .mtl? are there any converters or anything that you know of? its a pretty detailed model, so reapplying textures would be incredibly time consuming. Thanks.

Last edited by brett; 23rd May 2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Addition
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Toronto
Professional user

Default Re: 3ds max to ac3d

@ brett

When using the 3ds format all your texture names and material names must be a maximum of 8-characters.
example:
asphalt1.bmp is ok to use (8-characters)
but
asphalt01.bmp is not ok to use (9-characters)

If these names are any longer than 8-characters you will lose info in the imported/exported file.

Try using the collada format instead.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote