Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th July 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Valor

Default Importing from Adobe Illustrator

So, when I import a simple dxf file (that I exported from Adobe Illustrator) I do not see it. It allows me to select Import, select the file, click okay, but then I don't see anything in AC3D. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Valor
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Noob
Advanced member

Default Re: Importing from Adobe Illustrator

If you post a sample dxf file it would be a lot easier for us to help you figure out what went wrong...
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Valor

Sorry, I can't seem to attach a dxf file. I don't think it's the individual file. I've saved out a few. Even some really simple test files.

Last edited by Valor; 24th July 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 25th July 2012, 01:22 AM   #4
Noob
Advanced member

Without a sample file I can't help you too much, there are too many things that could have failed. Could you post one on dropbox or something instead of attaching it?

FWIW, I exported a model I've been working on to dxf and then re-imported it and it worked fine. Are you sure that the file AI makes actually has the geometry?
Old 25th July 2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Valor

Thanks for following up on this Noob. Here's a Dropbox link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/94052008/mhc.dxf

Just to reiterate, when I import the file, I don't get a message saying anything is wrong. I just see nothing. It doesn't seem like anything happens.

Thanks,

Valor

Last edited by Valor; 25th July 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Noob
Advanced member

Okay, thanks. I don't have as much time as I'd like to right now to look at it, (and this is just a guess) but it looks like some of the data in your model is stored in splines which may or may not be 'seen' by AC3D (Would need to be confirmed by Andy, but since AC3D doesn't currently support working with splines I doubt it can import them). I tried opening the file in Blender too, but it didn't work any better. I don't have any Adobe or Autodesk software currently installed so I can't check them, but I have a feeling that it would open properly there.

As for getting it to work, can you convert the splines to a polygonal 3d object in AI before exporting it? I think that AC3D would most likely be able to see it if you did that. If you have access to a copy of 3DS MAX or the like you could also import it there and then export to 3ds or obj and then use that in AC3D.

Another good thing to try would be to just export a simple box from AI and see if AC3D can open that.

Last edited by Noob; 26th July 2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Clarification