Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th February 2011, 09:22 PM   #1
AllenAnway

Default Make a hole in a surface

I am a beginner. I want to take a surface of revolution and punch a hole in it, as with a cylinder punch. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 24th February 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Terry Capps
Professional user

Question Re: Make a hole in a surface

I have attached a two-image sequence of a hole "punched" in a surface of revolution. Is this what you have in mind?
Attached Images

Terry Capps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 01:11 PM   #3
AllenAnway

Default Re: Make a hole in a surface

Many thanks for your efforts to help. What I wanted was to puncture the surface of revolution by the cylinder to be able to see into the interior of the surface. Is this possible to do? I am modeling an electrical housing Red Dot GALB-2 and it has two threaded bushings into which 3/4" pipe threaded pipe nipples are screwed in. Thanks again for your interest --- A2D2
Old 1st March 2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Terry Capps
Professional user

I think that the "Surface Hide/Unhide feature might do what you want. I have attached two more images to illustrate this. The first is an object with a surface of revolution. A bolt has been inserted through the first object. The top surface of the object has been selected. I then used the Surface Hide/Unhide feature to hide the selected surfaces to produce the second image. Now the inside surfaces of the object can be seen by using the 3D window.
Attached Images

Old 1st March 2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Terry Capps
Professional user

P.S. Use the "surface hiding" script function, not the Visibility-Hide function.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:56 AM   #6
AllenAnway

Thanks again for your valuable advice. Here is my key question: If you remove the bolt, can you tilt the 3-D view to see through the hole that the bolt previously went through? Best wishes --- A2D2
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Terry Capps
Professional user

Not if you simply remove the bolt. To get the effect that you want, you will have to subtract the bolt from the object that the bolt is going through using Boolean-Subtract. Note that Boolean operations sometimes produce unexpected results and sometimes you can't just do an "undo" to get back to where you started so always save the file before the Boolean operation. Sometimes you will need to enlarge both objects by selecting them and then clicking 200% several times, perform the Boolean operation, and then reduce the result by clicking on 50% as many times as you previously enlarged the original objects.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:41 PM   #8
AllenAnway

Thanks for your patience. Starting over, I made a big tapered cylinder of revolution from a line (open ends), I have made both a smaller solid cylinder and a smaller open cylinder of revolution from a line (open ends), I have punctured the larger cylinder with each of the smaller. I have tried every Boolean operation with the large cylinder and every smaller cylinder and get (a) no apparent change but now 3 objects rather than 2 and the big cylinder triangulated or (b) more often, the larger cylinder collapses to be a small remnant of the original. My goal is to puncture a hole through the big cylinder that I can see through and discard the small cylinder. Perhaps I am asking the wrong question of the software? Thanks again for your efforts.
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Terry Capps
Professional user

Question Re: Make a hole in a surface

I'm not sure that I really understand what you are doing. Could you attach an image or two of the objects that you are starting with?
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Terry Capps
Professional user

In the first attached image, I have created a big tapered cylinder of revolution from a line and a smaller solid cylinder puncturing the big tapered cylinder. I SELECTED the larger cylinder, then added* the smaller cylinder to the SELECTION, and then clicked on Object, Boolean, "Knife and Cut Away" to produce the second attached image. This second image shows the big tapered cylinder with a small circular section of one side SELECTED. I then deleted that selection to produce the third image.

If you haven't read the manual, I suggest that you do. Boolean operations aren't really intuitive. The steps to perform a Boolean operation have to be done a certain way and in the correct order.

* With the first object already SELECTED, hold down the shift-key and then click on the second object.

Hints and Tips:
For most** of the Boolean operations, all objects should be 3D and have no open edges (the objects should appear to be solid). All surface NORMALS should be facing outwards. If a surface NORMAL is not visible or appears as a magenta dot, it is facing the wrong way. Select the surface (or surfaces) and then click on Surface, Flip Normal.

** The exception is when dealing with the Boolean-Knife operations. The object to be modified can be 2D, but the modifier object must be a 3D solid object. If you need to use a 2D object as a knife, try using the Knife tool under the Tools menu.
Attached Images