Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th May 2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default Object can't be sliced

I'm quite familiar with the knife tool. I create a rectangle, select the knife tool, define the rectangle as knife and make it slice any object...until now. I can still slice any object--just not this particular one. When I try the object in question the application freezes as I hit "slice" and will not respond until I force it to close and then relaunch it.

Has anyone got a clue what can make a particular object "unsliceable"?
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 09:16 AM   #2
tbd
Professional user

Default Re: Object can't be sliced

I have had some/many objects doing this. I think it has something to do with the vertexes. Sometimes they just have a position that the boolean/slicing function wont work with. Of course it can bee some other thing as well, but its just guessing from my part. What I do to resolve this is either move the knife slightly, or, a bit dependent on the object, do a divide on selected surfaces. difficult to say when not looking at the object
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Thanks for your reply. Since I wrote this I've started working on a previous version of my object which does slice and mirror as it should. (I'm working on an aircraft model and my procedure is to work on the right half of the model and then mirror it to get both sides. The part that caused problems had been made into a full model some time ago but I decided to rework it and wanted to cut away the left half of it).

Anyway, provided the problem is due to strangely positioned vertices it didn't help to move the knife in this case. I even tried to delete all of the surfaces that the knife would have to cut through and the object still wouldn't slice. Evidently, there's something going on that's unrelated to the position of the knife in relation to surfaces being cut.

As always, a rich selection of backup versions will save the day :-)
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
tbd
Professional user

Hehe, slicing and boolean can sometimes be a hit or miss have I found out. Sometimes it works like cutting butter with a hot knife, and sometimes you just want to pull all your hair out
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 05:16 PM   #5
LumpTom
Advanced member

Maybe problem is with using rectangle as knife object, because as AC3D manual mentioned, second object working as knife should be closed edges (3D) object. Try to use e.g. big cube as knife and use one of it's sides as knife edge ...
LumpTom is offline   Reply With Quote