Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th June 2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default Texture mapping has changed

I've been working on a fuselage for a long time by now. The rough texture mapping was defined quite early in the process. Since then I've made (what would seem to be) minor adjustments to the model as well as brushing up the textures. Since I noticed that some textures lines had got skewed I decided to remap the model and found that the proportions had changed totally. So, the situation is that I can't run the texture editor and remap it all without having to redo the entire texture. If I leave it as it is it looks quite good though.

The moral of this obvious -- don't make any elaborate textures until the model is finished. However, since the original texture mapping looks good with the original proportions I wonder if there's a way to force these proportions during a subsequent remapping. I've tried to skew the entire texture to make it match the proportions of a remapping but it seems that there's no way to keep the relative position of the various texture elements. Thus, there's more to this than what can be fixed by playing with the relative height and width of the texture.
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Texture mapping has changed

Well, if your texture doesn't change much in layout, just in some significant 'stretching' or 'compressing' of relative proportions.... it should be relatively simple to work from the TCE, in surface mode, selecting groups of contiguous surfaces and resizing/shaping them to fit the slightly different texture.

At times, I've had to do this when working with entirely new textures to be fit onto different geometries (in the case of aircraft). Since the texture and the aircraft are attempting to describe the same item, the differences shouldn't be too profound. I'd have to squash wing tops and bottoms a bit, nudge fuselages to fit, etc. Occasionally, it wouldn't work because of the way the texture was "unwrapped"... but this was the exception rather than the rule.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
Well, if your texture doesn't change much in layout, just in some significant 'stretching' or 'compressing' of relative proportions.... it should be relatively simple to work from the TCE, in surface mode, selecting groups of contiguous surfaces and resizing/shaping them to fit the slightly different texture.
In the meantime that's what I did. Single surface texture mapping did the trick. For one of the anomalies I did take this one step further--I had to isolate a segment that was OK by splitting up a surface (add vertices, create three surfaces to cover the area and then delete the original surface). When the good section was separated from the bad ones I could then adjust the exact position of pertinent vertices / redefine the texture area for a given surface without affecting the good section.

I have used TCE in surface mode to define semi-transparent window areas and rows of rivets. The beauty of this approach is that one texture spot of semi-transparent will do for any window area and a short row of rivets can be used and reused for the entire fuselage. The downside to dedicated surface texturing is that newly created surfaces may tend draw textures from all over the place. Thus, once we start individual texturing of surfaces the basic texture map as well as the shape of the object ought to be set--once we start doing single surface texturing the global texture map will be "messed up" and we'll have to single texture any additional surfaces that border on previously single textured surfaces.
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Stiglr
Professional user

Thoughtful use of "snap together" of vertices on the TCE (not just in the model itself) can really help here. That and the great suggestion you mentioned, of splitting or re-shaping border surfaces to better suit the layout of your new texture.

I've always said AC3D had by far the best texturing system. I see that Blender 2.5/6 has gotten fairly close.... but I couldn't figure out how to get the full, vertice-by-vertice, surface-by-surface control to make these kind of re-mappings go quicker and easier.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote