Rick Kimball

Default Re: POLL - VOTE NOW

Here is my short list:

o Selectable Ortho Views (Left, Right, Top, Bottom, Front and Back) 3 is fine
but i want to pick what is in each pane

o Select one or more surfaces and press a button that makes all normals
point Outside and a different button for facing them all Inside * ala blender3d

o More types of light * Direction, Spotlight, Pointlight

o Builtin texture shadow baking. Texture all objects, light the scene.
Have it create new a single texture with the shadows applied based
on the lights. It would also adjust the texture coordinates of each
face so they mapped properly on the new single texture.

o A feature like the triangulate .. but instead .. turn everything into quads

o Mulit-texture support for things like bump maps

o Once I have selected something, it would be nice to be able to move it
using a keypress. Pressing the arrow keys would move it some preference
based amount. left, right, up, down * ala blender

* many more .. but would be most happy with these
Rick Kimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2003, 10:54 PM   #12
jason379

I have only been using AC3D for a day now and I love it. There are a couple of things that would make my life a lot easier.

I could really use a background image in the 3D view, one that works just like the background image in all of the ortho views. I do a lot of work from photographs and sometimes you just can't get an ortho-friendly shot.

I also model a lot of symmetrical objects, cars and such, so if the previous poster is correct and there is no "mirror" function I'd like to see it added.

Additional ortho views would be nice. It is sometimes useful to work with front, top, back or similar combinations. Three windows at a time is fine (IMHO) but it would be nice to be able to choose what view goes in what window.

Down the road I would really love to see CgFX (http://ww.cgshaders.org/) support so that I can apply a custom shader at modeling time. I haven't looked at the SDK yet but I'm hoping I can add this myself if necessary.

Great program, happy to pay for it.
jason379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2003, 01:32 AM   #13
gohminghui88

I like AC3D !! :lol: It's easy to use and system requirements was not high . Furthermore , it's fast .
Well , to improve it , maybe a user friendly animator can be added and also the texture/material editor may be added and improved with more features like reflection , transparency etc. :?
Old 30th June 2003, 10:59 AM   #14
SchodMC

AC3D is a realy easy to use Software! But the following things will be nice to have:

- Question to confirm before overwriting existing files

- Animation Support

- Maybe Lightmapping ?

- Image-Browser for preview of textures. It will be more easy to assign a texture to an object if I had a preview of the selected texture-file bevor loading it.
SchodMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2003, 01:22 PM   #15
Greg

Default Re: Misc., thoughts on improvements

In conversations I've had with Andy, many moons ago (around the corner of 3.0-days), Andy stated that nurbs support was being planned. Where are they?

I would love to see animation support!!! You might be interested in looking at what blender is doing here. Plus, there is a blender subproject to create an exporter to crystal space. I know animation is part of the information they are targeting now. Would be awesome to be able to use ac3d as a level designer, animation tool, and general modeler for crystal space. Right now, I think a lot of people are looking at blender to help fill the role, but let's face it, blender's interface is horrible! If you're serious about animation support, please consider looking at the cal3d library.

Would be great if a status line was added to prevent pesky pop-up dialogs! Like the optimize stuff. Do we really need a dialog to pop up? Wouldn't it be better to have a status line which communicate the status of various operations?

Would also be nice to be able to contrain movement to specifc axis. For example, when extruding an object, being able to press, say shift, while moving the moving to contrain it would be really nice.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2003, 04:09 PM   #16
spiderbarker

My work has been exclusively aircraft and instrumentation for Flight Gear. So that might color my opinions.

ANIMATION-
Animation isn't a big desire here. The ac3d interface is easy to use and I would hate to see it get complicated with an animation feature. There are other options for folks interested in that. A well written blender export might be useful in that regard.

Listed in order of importance...

MIRROR-
Mirror duplication would be a big plus for my work. I already do it manually with a text editor. All you need to do is dup the object, reverse the sign on the vertice values that corrispond to the axis you want to mirror along. Then flip the surface normals.

SELECT BY MATERIAL-
It would be useful to be able to select surfaces by material from the material popup menu.

SELECT BY TEXTURE-
A single texture per object isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned. Doing otherwise would require some radical changes to the ac3d format. It would be useful to be able to do an object selection by texture. A edit/select popup that would let you choose the texture you are concerned about and having all objects referencing that texture get selected.

SCALING IN THE TCE-
At times it would be useful to be able to scale texture mapping uniformly. A function that performs scaling of the text map coordinates in a way similar to the geometry edit.

ROTATING IN THE TCE-
For some reason I can't seem to figure out the rotate function in the TCE. Something that rotated the mapping around a given center point would be useful at times.
spiderbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2003, 01:04 PM   #17
Mizkreant

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but this is just off the top of my head.

Turn Edge - This is a critical function, especially for low poly modeling.

Divide Edge - Ditto.

Ability to use relative coordinates instead of absolute.

Ability to enter the coordinates/size of just one or two axes in the move/size box.

Ability to paste the coordinates of the current cursor position into the move boxes.

Backface culling - Auto hide vertices/edges/faces behind the current view (ex. if looking from the front view, hide things that overlap on the x/y axes but are so many Z units behind)

I don't think adding animation should be a priority until the modeling tools are improved.
Mizkreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 01:21 PM   #18
JimB

Andy
Would it be possible in a future version to have
a Knife tool and maybe a lasso for selection, I
have gotten used to these through using Metasequoia3dLE
they make modeling a lot easier.

Thanks

JimB
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 01:36 PM   #19
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Hi Jim,

what does a the knife tool do?

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2003, 01:55 PM   #20
JimB

The knife tool inserts vertices where dragged across
an object,for instance if I make a cylinder then decide
I want to add more sections to it I would use the knife tool.
I hope this makes sense.

JimB
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote