Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2006, 12:51 PM   #1
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

Default T.C.E suggestion.

hey dennis I was wondering on the T.C.E. is there any way that you could add like a save fuction on to it. I think it would be nice to add like a save function to it so that if someone where to make a perfect map to there model that they want to texture they could save the map into a bump map.
nightoftheroundtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 02:36 PM   #2
griff
Professional user

Default Re: T.C.E suggestion.

If you have AC3D V6 (possibly V5 too?) it has a *Copy to Clipboard* function. Older versions just do a screen capture and open in your graphics program.

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 04:41 PM   #3
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

yeah but you can't save the bump map. I have ac3d 6.0 verision.
Old 6th August 2006, 09:21 PM   #4
Dennis
Professional user

As griff mentioned, using the "copy to clipboard" menu item, you can then paste the image into your graphic editor of choice (Paint, Photoshop, etc), then you can save the map.

Unfortunately, this isn't as nice as being able to export to a file with a specific size --- i.e., if I want to export to a 512x512 pixel map, I have to do some resizing. It's uglier if I want to export to a 2048x2048 map.

To get precise sizes like this, I always end up exporting my model as an OBJ and importing into a 3rd party UV mapper. I got tired of that and drummed up a quick plugin to export straight to a BMP file.

I didn't initially share the plugin because it only worked with BMP files, and the chances of me changing it to support other file formats are practically nil, but now that you post this, I figure I may as well release it so others can use it.

See here: http://www.ac3d.org/forum/showthread...6552#post16552

Enjoy,

Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 10:52 PM   #5
griff
Professional user

Nice Dennis ... though I never have had any problems ... but then I'm usually trying to reduce the size rather than go upto 2048x2048 ;-) I actually like UVMapper for a whole number of reasons and use it alot.

There does appear to be a little ... er ... misunderstanding about 'bump map' and '.bmp'.

.bmp is a file format for images .... like gif or jpg etc.

A 'bump map' creates the illusion that a surface is rough or bumpy. It is usually a grayscale image that defines the intensity (amount) of the roughness/bumpiness. Some 3d software allow multiple images on an object and these can be a 'colour map', a 'bump map', a 'specularity map', a 'displacement map' etc. AC3D does not (unless there has been a revolution in the updates to V6).

The TCE in AC3D allows you to create an image which is a map of the *texture coordinates* .... an image that defines the triangles/rectangles (using screen capture, copy to clipboard or now Dennis's plugin). It does *not* create 'bump maps' ... you have to create those from your coordinate map, or by other means. When all maps have been created you have to assemble them in a 2D graphics program that supports layers then combine and flatten the layers in the most pleasing manner.

That is why I asked about the geometry paint (see thread) ... the possibility mentioned in the AC3D review. Usually such programs work with a 'layered' image ... if such a program is on the cards for AC3D then the possibility of having colour/bump/specularity layers etc exists .... as well as possibly creating them in AC3D.

griff

PS: Wonders when Dennis gets time to model given the number of plugins he creates
Old 7th August 2006, 01:44 AM   #6
Dennis
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff
but then I'm usually trying to reduce the size rather than go upto 2048x2048 ;-)
Ugh - 2048x2048 is actually rather ugly in AC3D. I've never actually formally complained about this, but AC3D is rather slow to load large images. So much so that I create 2 sets of textures when I'm modeling. One set is of low resolution textures (128x128) that I use when modeling in AC3D. When I export to other apps/renderers, I swap these out for large formats. Would be nice if AC3D was quicker to load these big images, and I wouldn't have to swap out the textures.

Quote:
PS: Wonders when Dennis gets time to model given the number of plugins he creates
Now that you mention it, so do I.....
Old 7th August 2006, 09:28 AM   #7
griff
Professional user

Quote:
I've never actually formally complained about this, but AC3D is rather slow to load large images
I've noticed that too with some terrains I've been creating. I had put it down to the number of polygons ... till I tried just loading the terrain texture onto a single rectangle. But I can live with it ... gives me a chance to sit back and have a drink of coffee.

griff
Old 7th August 2006, 11:10 AM   #8
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

well I was just wondering if there was a way I could elminated the use of the third party tool. the uvmapper.
Old 7th August 2006, 11:29 AM   #9
Dennis
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightoftheroundtable
well I was just wondering if there was a way I could elminated the use of the third party tool. the uvmapper.
Sure, you could just not use it

Seriously though, UVMap exists only to add some new UV mappings that are not currently in the TCE. I'm sure these functions will be rolled into the TCE in a future release, but in the meantime, you're stuck with the separate UVMap for certain tasks (global coordinates, cylindrical/spherical mapping on Y/Z axes, subdivision compensation, etc).

Just to be clear, too, I have no immediate control over the TCE --- that's all Inivis code, internal to AC3D, and I'd rather not attempt to create a new copy of it...
Old 7th August 2006, 11:33 AM   #10
nightoftheroundtable
Professional user

lol. I know what you mean. well the plugin in seems to work fine.