Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th March 2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Default Snap together

When vertices are being snapped together they're both moved to an intermediate shared position. This is fine for "zipping up" a gap between two surfaces. However, it's not that fine when you want to add ornaments to a basic object as in adding a line of rivets to a properly modeled basic fuselage. I know that there's a workaround for this, namely to copy the desired vertex coordinates and define the other vertex position at this location. However, it would be faster to have a "snap together" option where the first chosen vertex is defined as the governing one and the second one is moved to this position rather than averaging the position of both vertices. In other words a "snap to" option in addition to the "snap together" option as an alternative key command option.
Hans_Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Stiglr
Professional user

Default Re: Snap together

+1. I also have wanted to be able to control which of a number of vertices selected would serve as the location for all once they are snapped together. First or last would be ideal, if no other dialog box or check box is practicable

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Terry Capps
Professional user

The "Move Toward or Away" plugin might be able to do what you want. You can find this plugin on the supercoldmilk.com web site.

Last edited by Terry Capps; 20th March 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Terry Capps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Stiglr
Professional user

This would "help", but since it's partly manual, it lacks the precision of a Snap To. The whole point is that you want a bunch of points to snap precisely to one, selected point, without that point moving or "averaging" with the others.

However, I added it to my scripts anyway, since it does have some utility. Thanks for the suggestion.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
This would "help", but since it's partly manual, it lacks the precision of a Snap To. The whole point is that you want a bunch of points to snap precisely to one, selected point, without that point moving or "averaging" with the others.

However, I added it to my scripts anyway, since it does have some utility. Thanks for the suggestion.
I just tried this script and it seems to accomplish exactly what we've been requesting. There's no averaging--the first vertex selected is chosen as the desired position and then we'd select another vertex and snap it to this position by clicking "To". I'm using this script to "line" the inside of a cockpit, making the virtual cockpit align perfectly with the external fuselage model. Since the fuselage is done and fixed it's paramount to avoid operations that may reposition any of its vertices.
Old 12th November 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Tonka
Advanced member

You can also use the move to function on the left side of the window to move one group of verts, or a single vert, to the same location as another.

Select the verts in the location you want the others moved to, click the > next to the move to boxes on the left, then select the verts you wish to move and hit move to.

Use the Vertex > Snap Together By Distance to snap any closely adjoined verts together, and the Vertex > Weld to remove duplicates.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 06:14 AM   #7
DUST
Expert member

It's a shame that the developer missed the opportunity.
Pull point (point group) to the point-a very common operation..

Last edited by DUST; 25th August 2013 at 06:31 AM.
DUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUST View Post
It's a shame that the developer missed the opportunity.
Pull point (point group) to the point-a very common operation..
I've been trying to duplicate this--I'm assuming the exact terminology would be "to move a vertex (vertex group) to a defined location". If so, this is what we can do with the "Move Toward or Away" plugin as long as one of the vertices to be joined occupy the desired position. Could you please explain exactly what you mean?
Old 26th August 2013, 09:28 PM   #9
DUST
Expert member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaeM0LQDBN8

I say that one object is motionless and the other should be able to stick to another using drag and drop.
For purposes are: the point angles plane midpoints.
This is a standard feature of many advanced programs.
The absence of this method is extremely difficult to work with the model.

My 3D work Photo set of my work http://www.flickr.com/photos/91867265@N06/sets

Last edited by DUST; 26th August 2013 at 09:35 PM.
DUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Hans_Petter
Advanced member

Now I understand--you say that AC3D should implement drag and drop to move one vertex to the position of another and it should snap into position. To make the program code distinguish between a simple move and a "snap to position" operation there must be a special command for this. Otherwise any vertex that would be moved (very) close to another one would snap into the other vertex's position.

This should certainly be implemented in the next version of AC3D. I'd say in most cases when elements are to be joined one row of vertices is exactly where it should be already. Then the average position is not what we want but rather a "snap the vertex selected to the position of the other one" and subsequently join, weld or clean up to delete the redundant vertices.