Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th December 2003, 02:29 PM   #1
-WOODY-
Professional user

Default Custom texture overide

I may be wrong, but when setting up a scene with AC3D with an added custom texture, Pov-Ray merely layers this custom texture on top of the existing default AC3D textures.
I used to think that whatever additional textures are written in the object's property box would just overide the default textures when the scene is rendered so that only the second texture entry is read.
I noticed this when coming up with a custom Pov texture pattern. When I rendered it, Pov gave the warning that patterned textures cannot be layered on top of other textures so before I would render the scene I had to delete the original AC3D texture.
Old 1st February 2004, 01:14 PM   #2
mikeyb44

Default Re: Custom texture overide

Woody, I noticed the same thing. It seems like there are 15 textures beging declared in POV by ac3d. If you were to right click on one of the colored buttons and change those settings, that is the texture that gets assigned to that object in POV via the declare statement i.e.

#declare ac3d_col_0 = texture { pigment { color rgbf < 0 0 0 0>} finish { ambient 0.2 specular 0.5 roughness 0.078125} }

Now, like you said, when we try to add something into the object property editor like texture { Polished_Chrome}, that statement gets appended to the default texture so now it reads:

Which generates the warning in POV. If you add something like
Pigment { Blue }
finish {
specular 0.6
roughness 0.002
ambient 0
diffuse 0.1
brilliance 5
reflection {
0.1, 1.0
fresnel on
}
conserve_energy
}

}

It seems to work as long as you leave the keyword texture out of your statement. So in theory, you can change the pigment and all other values by just appending the other information to the object property editor.
mikeyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2004, 12:19 PM   #3
-WOODY-
Professional user

Default Re: Custom texture overide

But it seems that no matter what you do, the new texture gets layered on top of the other texture unless you go into the Pov file itself and manually delete the original texture and write in the new texture settings.
When I try to create a patterned texture using a custom color map, the results gets automatically layered on top of the original AC3D texture which Pov then rejects. I was just trying to see if there was some way to edit the AC3D texture from within AC3D to overide those settings without having to edit the Pov file and re-render.
When I try to create a patterned texture from 2 Pov declared textures ( Chrome and Brass ect. ), it can't be layered at all. If I try to break down each texture, Chrome and Brass to it's basic element description, I'll create a declare statement a mile long and it makes it difficult for me to keep track of it. In the end, it still gets layered on top of the original color.