Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th May 2004, 05:16 PM   #1
stiklewave
Advanced member

Default SUGGESTIONS ABOUT AC3D

1. A tool whta can unite two objects creating only one, exemple, two squares united one to the onther, and when i select that 2 objects and i united they so its convert in one object and not 2

2. A torus please! i need make the pistols silencers

3. Apply textures to the base of the cilinders

4. Animation, is teh best solution to a comercial producto fo ac3d and more if you can exprot it to anothers video formats how avi jpeg and wma.
( There is a program called anim8tor and works perfectly with your program, is a good combination)

5. Scripts added, or a small program of c++ script to do games or interactives animations

6. I dunno, but osmetimes the gridsnap works bad (isnt ajust it to the grid)

7. Is necessary that another window? that of Dos when you open Ac3d

8. Dynamic ligths (colours ligths and intensĦity)

9. Apply trabnsparency to objects and ilumination or more things

10. The perspective need better moves, how a "fly" mode or an " free" mode
stiklewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2004, 04:42 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: SUGGESTIONS ABOUT AC3D

A lot of this can already be done in AC3D.

Quote:
1. A tool whta can unite two objects creating only one, exemple, two squares united one to the onther, and when i select that 2 objects and i united they so its convert in one object and not 2
Use Object->merge to put all surfaces into the same object. You may mean a boolean union though - see http://ac3d.org/ac3d/newin4/#_Toc52769393

Quote:
2. A torus please! i need make the pistols silencers
Simply make an Ellipse and use Object->revolve to make it into a torus - see the manual for more info.

Quote:
3. Apply textures to the base of the cylinders
No problem - select the base of a cylinder and use Tools->TCE to reposition the texture.

Quote:
4. Animation, is teh best solution to a comercial producto fo ac3d and more if you can exprot it to anothers video formats how avi jpeg and wma.
( There is a program called anim8tor and works perfectly with your program, is a good combination)
Yes - future development.

Quote:
5. Scripts added, or a small program of c++ script to do games or interactives animations
Look into Tcl/TK - this is what AC3D uses for it's user interface and scripting engine. You can modify the tcl files in the AC3D 'tcl' folder.

Quote:
Please supply more info about this.

Quote:
7. Is necessary that another window? that of Dos when you open Ac3d
It's not a dos window, it's an 'information console' This is useful for sorting out problems but there will be an option to hide this in future versions.

Quote:
8. Dynamic ligths (colours ligths and intensĦity)
Coming soon.

Quote:
9. Apply trabnsparency to objects and ilumination or more things
Right-click on a colored palette button to edit the transparency of a material.

Quote:
10. The perspective need better moves, how a "fly" mode or an " free" mode
You can do this - press '2' in the 3D window (or use the 3D menu) to switch into Walk mode. Use the cursor keys to walk or the mouse to 'fly'.

The manual is available on the download page.

Have fun!

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2004, 02:01 AM   #3
monster
Advanced member

Quote:
Quote:
Please supply more info about this.
I'm not sure, but possibly they're talking about this;

When you have positioned a point without grid snap on so it's not aligned with the grid (grid is every 0.1, your point is at 0.1132). Then when you turn gridsnap on and move that point it moves in grid sized steps, but it retains it's original 'offset' from the actual grid lines (so you can move it to 0.2132, 0.4132, -1.9132, etc).

There is a "snap points to grid" menu option somewhere though isn't there? Or have I imagined that?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2004, 02:10 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Yes - it's designed this way. Imagine what would happen if you dragged a sphere, with gridsnap on, and all of the vertices snapped to the nearest grid point - chaos.

If you have individual vertices that need to be snapped to the grid - use Vertex->snap-to-grid.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2004, 04:14 AM   #5
Flatline

Hi, all.
Some wishlist items, sorry if they're repeats (still reading through the posts):

I would find the abitlity to name objects, selection sets and groups very useful. Especially when creating characters or machinery with many pieces.
Selecting by name would be great. That would make creating LODs much easier.

I use the Object properties page constantly and I keep moving it around the screen, out of my way. Is there a way I can display that info in the blank UI space under the MoveTo/SizeTo/etc section easily?

To translate any object/selection to another oject's center, that would very be useful also. I can do that by the MoveTo, and copy info from the objProperty window, but I have to keep reselecting the object and the stack of post-its I'm making with xyz center info is kinda getting out of hand.

The ability to scale/rotate an object about local-, world- centers and to easily toggle between them. Very organic shapes are possible this way and rapidly created.

Displacement mapping from grayscale image to selected mesh. Terrains can be painted and quickly and LODs generated rapidly.

Ok, that's it. I hope this fits the general idea of the suggestions area.
If there are ways to do these things, I just haven't run accross them in the ui, manual or forum yet--still reading through them all.
Cheers.
Flatline is offline   Reply With Quote