Go Back   AC3D Forums > Meeting places > AC3D and X-Plane
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th September 2017, 11:32 AM   #11
captainpeter
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D 8.0.80 / X-Plane 3.3.0b3 - DataRef and Commands

Make sure you placed the updated tcl file Andy posted above in the plugins folder within the application bundle. Then restart AC3D.

cheers
Peter

The X-Plane Freeware Project
captainpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 11:34 AM   #12
mikemcalpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpeter View Post
Make sure you placed the updated tcl file Andy posted above in the plugins folder within the application bundle. Then restart AC3D.

cheers
Peter
Yes, I did that but still no joy. The box where the dataref goes is there but I am not able to select it.
mikemcalpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 11:47 AM   #13
captainpeter
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcalpin View Post
Yes, I did that but still no joy. The box where the dataref goes is there but I am not able to select it.
Did you also copy DataRefs.txt & Commands.txt from your X-Plane/Resources/plugins folder to AC3D's plugins folder?

And just to be 100% sure - If you open 'XPlaneSupport.tcl' in Textedit it should contain a note on line 27 about this combo box list fix on May 9th 2017.

peter

Old 13th September 2017, 12:02 PM   #14
mikemcalpin

Quote:
Did you also copy DataRefs.txt & Commands.txt from your X-Plane/Resources/plugins folder to AC3D's plugins folder?

And just to be 100% sure - If you open 'XPlaneSupport.tcl' in Textedit it should contain a note on line 27 about this combo box list fix on May 9th 2017.

peter
yes I copied DataRefs.txt & Commands.txt to the plugins folder and checked the XPlaneSupport.tcl file. It has the note about the combo box fix. This is driving me bonkers.

I've attached a screen shot of what I am seeing with this file. In this example, I imported an obj file from Sketchup. AC3D recognizes the dataref I made with Sketchup but does not allow me to change it. The dataref imported is "sim/time/total_running_time_sec".

I then tried to make an animation from scratch just to see if there was a problem with the Sketchup import, but AC3D still will not show a drop down box for the datarefs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 5.54.00 PM.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	3588  

Old 13th September 2017, 12:08 PM   #15
captainpeter
Professional user

Quote:
yes I copied DataRefs.txt & Commands.txt to the plugins folder and checked the XPlaneSupport.tcl file. It has the note about the combo box fix. This is driving me bonkers.

I've attached a screen shot of what I am seeing with this file. In this example, I imported an obj file from Sketchup. AC3D recognizes the dataref I made with Sketchup but does not allow me to change it. The dataref imported is "sim/time/total_running_time_sec".

I then tried to make an animation from scratch just to see if there was a problem with the Sketchup import, but AC3D still will not show a drop down box for the datarefs.
Ah, I see what you mean. You need to open the X-Plane Object Properties Window first and select the rotation or translation object (in object select mode).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 18.05.16.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	3589  

Old 13th September 2017, 12:19 PM   #16
mikemcalpin

Quote:
Ah, I see what you mean. You need to open the X-Plane Object Properties Window first and select the rotation or translation object (in object select mode).
Ok, its working now. I think the X-Plane Object Properties Window part did the trick. Now if I can just get the pop-up windows to behave I could work with this program. For some reason then properties windows insist on being in front of the main window. Really makes it difficult.

Thanks for you help!
Old 13th September 2017, 12:36 PM   #17
captainpeter
Professional user

Quote:
Ok, its working now. I think the X-Plane Object Properties Window part did the trick. Now if I can just get the pop-up windows to behave I could work with this program. For some reason then properties windows insist on being in front of the main window. Really makes it difficult.

Thanks for you help!
I usually move it to a second screen together with animation time and some others. The funny thing is, once I move it to another connected display and then move it back it WILL be possible to put it behind the main AC3D window.

This is not true for Animation Time which will always stay floating on top.
One can see the difference in the title-bar of the window. X-Plane Properties has a full height title bar whereas Animation Time has a slim title bar.

cheers
peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 18.35.21.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	3590  

Old 14th September 2017, 08:27 AM   #18
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

The Mac has restrictions on what can go in certain window types (sometimes identified by small and large title bars). In order to get the combobox popups to work, the window needed to me made into a 'main' window, hence the thicker titlebar.

If you think any others window types should also be changed it's easy enough to edit the tcl file - let me know.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 09:31 AM   #19
mikemcalpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The Mac has restrictions on what can go in certain window types (sometimes identified by small and large title bars). In order to get the combobox popups to work, the window needed to me made into a 'main' window, hence the thicker titlebar.

If you think any others window types should also be changed it's easy enough to edit the tcl file - let me know.
Thank Andy.
Old 20th August 2019, 07:59 PM   #20
domhenry
Expert member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

I'm on the new beta 55 for Mac - afraid the dataref drop down function seems to not be working - I have the datarefs and commands in the right spot. I notice that the object property window has a narrow title bar - can you assist?
domhenry is offline   Reply With Quote