Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th May 2007, 03:29 PM   #1
carlhill

Default Need help with materials

I've looked and looked. If I missed it somewhere, I apologize. I've started to use AC3D for making 3ds models to import into a Space Planning Program. The results have been outstanding and this program is very user friendly. I am running into problems when making cans though. It took forever how to figure out the cylindrical mapping for the can labels, seems it takes a lot of tweaking. Other than that, I am having a difficult time finding an object color that mimics shiny stainless steel or chrome. Does anyone know how to tweak the colors to achieve this? It would be nice if we had materials to choose from like 3dsMax, but I guess we can't have it all.

CH
carlhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 10:33 AM   #2
little_penguin
Expert member

Default Re: Need help with materials

well u can adjust some stuff for materials
  • diffuse
  • ambient
  • specular
  • shininess
  • transparency
to do so, select the material with right mouse click, then a choose "edit material..."
little_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2007, 07:30 PM   #3
lisa
Professional user

Another good trick:

While AC3D doesn't store material presets, it does leave the materials from the previous file in your palette when you create a new file.

If you want to make your own presets file, just create a scene with a bunch of spheres in it with the materials you want to save, then add it to your library. When you want to recall the materials, just load the file up and this will add the materials to palette. Even after you delete the spheres, the materials will stay in your palette for you to apply to other shapes.

These look better textured, but here's one of my metallic base color files to get you started:
http://download.tenfootpolesoftware..../metallics.zip

There's a limit to how "metallic" you can get without environment mapping or raytacing, but as far as simple materials go if you adjust the specular so that it's a little hotter than the base color you can get pretty decent results.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 01:47 PM   #4
luuckyy
Professional user

Good trick indeed, and nice materials.

Thanks for sharing lisa !