Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd October 2008, 12:09 AM   #1
JD3020

Default Need Help getting started

Well, ive been using Google Skethcup to make stuff, but its not good enough. So i decided to try this. Ive seen some tutorials, but not really what im looking for. Im trying to model a International scout for a game. But i dont really know where to start. I have a picture that im going off of. This . Its pretty simple to make. But i dont want just like a box. I want the windows to be windows. Basically how this truck is. which was made using this. Im trying to learn this, but i dont know where to start when making this. Im not to concerned with details. Mainly just a body that resembles a scout. Im sorry if im not really making much sense. Im just kinda confused and tired right now. But any help is appreciated.
JD3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Ham
Expert member

Default Re: Need Help getting started

In the Left View Window Select the menu : "Ortho"
Set the Background image to your vehicle.
Create a cube.
From that cube Extrude surfaces, and move vertices until you have roughly approximated the body contour of the vehicle in that view.

Thats the simplest way to do it.
Then use bools to cutout windows.

Then spend time on individual details like the tires and texture and it will come together.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:47 PM   #3
JD3020

Well yesterday i forgot to say something. I got the blueprint uploaded, and got the vertices placed. So with the lines and all it made the outline of it. But i am wondering what do i do from there? I extruded it, and sometimes it would only have one side, sometimes both. But i couldnt figure out how to take the windows out. I will try again tomorrow.
JD3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Edymnion
Professional user

Well, you should probably start out using the Box tool, not the line tool, and then using "Extrude Surface" with "cap ends" and "remove original" set to yes. Then block out your shapes.

Here's a very quick and dirty example of making a basic car door.

Start with a thin box for the side of the door, extrude the side surfaces enough to give you an extra square poly on the tops to then extrude up into the sides of the windows. Then, extrude the top over to close it in. After that, you'd probably want to start combining polygons to keep the poly count as low as you can.

Obviously its not very good, but I'm at work and this will give you the general idea. There is great deal more work that goes into making this sort of thing to where it looks even remotely like whats in your picture there, but it all follows these same basic ideas.
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the syrup of cola that thoughts acquire speed, the ears acquire ringing, the ringing becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind into motion.
Edymnion is offline   Reply With Quote