Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th October 2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Johnathan
Advanced member

Question Create seams before UV Unwrap?

Ac3d is getting better and better and as with most here, the ease of UV Mapping is one of my favorite things about it.

I do have a question though, which might be something I should have figured out a long time ago and just completely missed it some how.

Is there a way to create seams, other than "cut away object" (Which works), before using Unwrap?

For example, with blender you can select edges to create seams before Unwrapping in order to avoid distortion as much as possible.

Also, since I am here and you are here reading, is there a way to add RGB or HEX color values to surfaces to give a wider range of color choice to surfaces that could be rendered via the render to texture plugin?

Thank you in advanced to anyone with answers or links to the proper answers.
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 10:40 AM   #2
foxa
Professional user

Default Re: Create seams before UV Unwrap?

If you right-click on one of the colors in the lower left corner you can append new material (add a copy to the right end of the material list) then, right-click on the copy and choose edit material you can edit Diffuse, Ambient, Emmisive, and Specular values in RGB. You can also edit shininess and Transparency (remember, transparent objects have to be on the bottom of the scene hierarchy to work properly). By selecting real time update in the edit material window, you will see your changes on the object immediately.

Good luck and have fun

Art
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Johnathan
Advanced member

Foxa,
Thank you for the tip on changing the color values. So simple, I never even thought about right clicking. There is a lot more to Ac3d than what I thought.

Anyone have any tips regarding making seams?
Old 10th October 2012, 01:37 PM   #4
foxa
Professional user

I have not actually done it in AC3D I have unwrapped in Silo and Blender. I think Andy has used an algorithm to unwrap and I do not see any input for "seams" or "relaxing". Maybe on down the road. I do mainly architectural modelling, so I can get by pretty well with the texture editor using planar, and spherical mapping.
foxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Johnathan
Advanced member

Yes, I too have used Blender to Unwrap but, since unwrap has been introduced to Ac3d I've been trying to narrow down my workflow to only include Ac3d as best as possible.

So far "cut away object" has been working fairly well to break the UV up in order to let Ac3d neatly Unwrap the UV. It takes me a little tweaking and playing around with it though. Over all I am happy with the new feature.

I am not expecting Ac3d to do everything for me but, the more Ac3d can do, the less time I have to spend going between different programs.