Go Back   AC3D Forums > Meeting places > AC3D and X-Plane
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th February 2011, 10:02 PM   #11
captainpeter
Professional user

Default Re: Scaling objects and object group

Why don't you export the acf from Planemaker as an x-plane object file and import it into AC3D as reference. If you don't move the plane after import you can fit the cockpit and export the cockpit alone when ready. The cockpit will then sit in the proper location when added in Planemaker.

Here's a screenshot how that would look before export.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit fitting.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	2147  

captainpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 10:43 PM   #12
BumblebeeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpeter View Post
Why don't you export the acf from Planemaker as an x-plane object file and import it into AC3D as reference. If you don't move the plane after import you can fit the cockpit and export the cockpit alone when ready. The cockpit will then sit in the proper location when added in Planemaker.

Here's a screenshot how that would look before export.

...i never even considered exporting the ACF. i just went right to xplane and took a screenshot. this makes a lot more sense since the scale would be more consistant.
Thank you

Never try to figure out this stuff when you have a migraine.
BumblebeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 01:16 AM   #13
BumblebeeMan

i could not figure out how to export the ACF file in a form that AC3D could read, so I just did the somewhat tedious method of 'tweak and save' and after many adjustments, i have things lines up and looking good. I know it's not the correct, or simple, or efficient method but it got the results. Every plane I work on, I see ways I could do it better and easier.
Attached Images

Last edited by BumblebeeMan; 16th February 2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:40 PM   #14
BumblebeeMan

[QUOTE=BumblebeeMan;27159]ok, clearly I am missing something.

Aha, a partial eureka moment!
I have several things fixed/resolved. For anyone still beating their face against the keyboard, here is the solution I found:

In planemaker, under the 'Special' dropdown, click on 'Generate OBJ from Aircraft'. Don't do this until you have it flying and working the way you need)
You will have a file named "aircraft.obj" in the main Xplane directory. Rename it for your specific aircraft and import it into AC3D.
You will now be able to use the many easy and powerful tools in AC3D.

Save your work, then export it as an OBJ. into the directory where your aircraft is stored.

This is where i am still headscratching. In planemaker, i go to the 'standard' dropdown and select 'Misc Objects'.
Click on a box to the left of an empty bar (immediately to the left of the 'Clear' button) and from there, you can select the object file.

If all is looking good (you will likely see to aircraft overlapping) then go to the 'Expert' dropdown, click 'Invisible parts' and make the original aircraft parts invisible.

in all fairness, i am still struggling with texturemapping AC3D models and I know there is a lot more that i have yet to figure out here to make things look and work correctly.

If anyone has input on any steps omitted , please speak up
Old 19th February 2011, 05:33 AM   #15
captainpeter
Professional user

Planemaker can simply attach obj files to its plane model (via the misc. objects menu).
In addition it will also recognize 1 obj file via its file name. It is this special obj file that becomes the 'cockpit object' in the sim. The proper name would be '[acf_name]_cockpit.obj'. It has to be located in the aircraft root folder (next to the acf file).
Look at the 'example plane' in X-Plane's 'instructions' folder for reference.

The example cockpit screenshot I posted above combines this cockpit object with 3 additional co-located 'misc objects' to form 1 huge assembly. By using more than one object file I get around x-plane's limitation of 1 texture per obj file which wouldn't be enough in my particular case.

peter
Old 19th February 2011, 11:16 AM   #16
BumblebeeMan

Quote:
Planemaker can simply attach obj files to its plane model (via the misc. objects menu).
In addition it will also recognize 1 obj file via its file name. It is this special obj file that becomes the 'cockpit object' in the sim. The proper name would be '[acf_name]_cockpit.obj'. It has to be located in the aircraft root folder (next to the acf file).
Look at the 'example plane' in X-Plane's 'instructions' folder for reference.

The example cockpit screenshot I posted above combines this cockpit object with 3 additional co-located 'misc objects' to form 1 huge assembly. By using more than one object file I get around x-plane's limitation of 1 texture per obj file which wouldn't be enough in my particular case.

peter
I suspect that part of my problem now is that i am importing groups of objects.

Am I to take it that when I have a combination or group of objects to attach as an object in planemaker, i should first use boolean operation in AC3D and make it one object?

I still have to get a handle on defining and apply texturemaps. shoult that be done while the objects are single items?
Old 19th February 2011, 08:45 PM   #17
captainpeter
Professional user

boolean operations are something completely different.
try:
1- export complete acf as one obj file from planemaker
2- put exported obj file into the aircraft folder
3- open ac3d, import this obj file, save as .ac file in aircraft folder for good measure
... - you should see the plane in ac3d now.....
4- import your cockpit into the same .ac file
... - you'll probably see the imported aircraft as a object group in the hierarchy view
thats fine - leave it like that, don't move it around, it may be best to lock the group to be on the safe side. when you're done adjusting your cockpits position in 3D space, hide the aircraft group and export as x-plane object. hidden layers (the reference acf) won't be included.

if you send me a private message with your email address I can mail you a really simple .ac file to get you started.
Old 20th February 2011, 12:45 AM   #18
BumblebeeMan

Quote:
boolean operations are something completely different.
try:
1- export complete acf as one obj file from planemaker
2- put exported obj file into the aircraft folder
3- open ac3d, import this obj file, save as .ac file in aircraft folder for good measure
... - you should see the plane in ac3d now.....
4- import your cockpit into the same .ac file
... - you'll probably see the imported aircraft as a object group in the hierarchy view
thats fine - leave it like that, don't move it around, it may be best to lock the group to be on the safe side. when you're done adjusting your cockpits position in 3D space, hide the aircraft group and export as x-plane object. hidden layers (the reference acf) won't be included.

if you send me a private message with your email address I can mail you a really simple .ac file to get you started.
I have followed your instructions and all works so far as you directed. I also did the gun ports. how do I export the whole plane back as one object now? last time i did it, my beautiful radial engine vanished and I can't get it to show back up.
Old 20th February 2011, 02:35 AM   #19
captainpeter
Professional user

first save the .ac file
then make all groups/objects visible that you want included in your x-plane object.
file -> export -> x-plane 8 object

or, if you use more than one texture file, select 'by texture export' from the 'x-plane' menu.
you'll get one .obj per texture used. attach them all in Planemaker.

I highly recommend reading http://wiki.x-plane.com/Category:Aircraft_Development

peter