Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st February 2008, 06:07 PM   #1
g7sta
Advanced member

Default Converting 3D Studio MAX Files for use in AC3D

Hi,

I've picked up a couple of models in 3D Studio MAX (.max) format that I would like to convert into anything that AC3D can use with its import facility.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to convert .max files without access to the actual application - a search on the 'net doesn't reveal much in the way of utilities.

Cheers for any advice,

g7sta
Old 2nd February 2008, 05:46 AM   #2
luuckyy
Professional user

Default Re: Converting 3D Studio MAX Files for use in AC3D

My advice would be to find a kind person to make the conversion for you.
You could also download the 30 days trial version :
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112
Old 2nd February 2008, 05:08 PM   #3
g7sta
Advanced member

I've started the download of the trial version (568Mb!!!) so I hope the export facility isn't disabled after all that...!

I'll post the results to the forum once I've tried it so the solution is available for anyone else who has the same problem.

Just for the record, from what I've found out, the format of .MAX files is procedural, so that the data in the file points to program .DLL's within 3D Studio. Without Studio, the files effectively point to non-existent locations and are useless.

Thanks for the reply luuckyy, much appreciated.

g7sta
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:29 PM   #4
lisa
Professional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by g7sta View Post
Just for the record, from what I've found out, the format of .MAX files is procedural, so that the data in the file points to program .DLL's within 3D Studio. Without Studio, the files effectively point to non-existent locations and are useless.
Yes, that's always been a problem with Max... nothing on earth can fully import the files, as they are basically macros. The few things that claim to import Max, like PolyTrans, only work if you have the program installed... they just run MaxScript or plugins to have Max do all the work. Even if you have Max, what plug-ins you have installed can muck things up if the artist forgot to properly collapse their transforms, blech.

If it helps, supposedly Plasma can import Max files--Plasma is basically a gutted version of Max, so it can load much but not all of the data. Don't know what kind of export options it has, if any, as I've never used it myself.

What you are already doing with the Max demo sounds like the way to go.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 12:55 PM   #5
g7sta
Advanced member

Installing the 2008 version of the trial version of the software has done it, it appears to be fully functional (though I've only used the export utility and the renderer), but for 30 days only. I've converted the .MAX files to Lightwave format very easily and imported them into AC3D. Only 'quirks' I found were some missing textures that the original artist forgot to include in the archive, or parts of the model that seemed to point to absolute paths on the artists own PC. Didn't stop the export however and import into AC3D, everything looks ok as far as I can see.

All I've got to do is find and download all the models I'm likely to need for the forseeable future and convert them from .MAX format before the 30 days trial runs out!!!

Ah well, it gets around the problem... I'll look out for Plasma ... not sure if it costs anything but thats one to add to the list. Thanks for the suggestion & tips Lisa!
Old 3rd February 2008, 05:06 PM   #6
lisa
Professional user

Quote:
Ah well, it gets around the problem... I'll look out for Plasma ... not sure if it costs anything but thats one to add to the list. Thanks for the suggestion & tips Lisa!
Plasma is still pricey (~$600 I think) but it's a lot less than Max. I'd try a demo first as again I'm not sure how well it works, but I guess if nothing else it gives you an extra 30 days.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 05:03 AM   #7
Ham
Expert member

Quote:
All I've got to do is find and download all the models I'm likely to need for the forseeable future and convert them from .MAX format before the 30 days trial runs out!!!
So hey, what happened to all those models. I grabbed a ton off TurboSquid too, but don't have Winbox and doubt my emulator would run max. There's some great free stuff in Max format.

I was lucky to find all the Halo models converted to 3DS or Obj from my someone on Turbosquid, fun fun fun!
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote