Go Back   AC3D Forums > Technical > AC3D Developers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd February 2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Keith Sweeting

Talking Exporting DirectX files for "Rule the Rail"

I purchased AC3D primarily to make and add models to a piece of software called "Rule the Rail" (I know its boring), in UK it is called "Create your own model railway"

The "Rule the rail" forum suggests that all you need to do is export in DirectX file.

I have compared two DirectX files one from the software (RTR X file) and a similar exported version of a similar size model from AC3D in Notepad and they look totally different. It would seem that the data is in groupings that don't bear any resemblance to the RTR file. I have tried various settings in the DirectX export screen, but to no avail.

Are there any folks out there that can tell me where I am going wrong. Maybe the settings can be changed, so that the "Rule the Rail software can accept my model?
At the moment I have checked the following: "Frames only for groups", Right handed coordinate systems, "invert face orientation" and Flip normals. But in Notepad my exported DirectX file looks nothing like the one from "Rule the rail".
Any guidance will be gratefully received.: If anybody wants to compare these two files please email me and I will send them.
Keith Sweeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:34 PM   #2
lisa
Professional user

Default Re: Exporting DirectX files for "Rule the Rail"

Does the "Rule the Rail" manual have any instructions for what kind of DirectX file it expects? There are several different flavors, as you've clearly discovered.

I'm happy to take a look, but I don't know if I'll be of much help as I don't know anything about the game you mentioned.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Keith Sweeting

Dear Lisa I attached a DirectX file copy from "Rule the Rail". If you don't recive it perhaps I could email it.
Please have a look and tell me if there is anything you can do.
Very Best Regards
Keith Sweeting
Keith Sweeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 12:23 PM   #4
petero1

Hay Lisa and Keith,
IŽd hear Keith wants to add new models to RTR.
First you select all needed parts of the model and select export as DrectX model .x...
Be sure you save it as ASCII text.
With the notepad you may open the file you generated with your AC3D and search for Texturefilename.
You may change the slashes in the path like so: (EXAMPLE)
old is it so: "C:/program files/brainbombers/Rule The Rails!/scenes/trains/innercity.dds"
new exactly so: "C:\\program files\\brainbombers\\Rule The Rails!\\scenes\\trains\\innercity.dds".
The slashes are the crashbringer for RTR.
If you want to know how more about RTR then you may visit The Little Ville fanpage of RTR
I hope this post helps you make models for RTR.
Peter
petero1 is offline   Reply With Quote