Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st August 2006, 02:41 AM   #1
prejudged_fire

Question creating textures from scratch

hello. I recently downloaded AC3D today (well actually yesterday, its 2:30 in the morning) and I am starting to get a feel for the environment and how to create basic models with it. Below is a link to my first complete model, a simple sword. The problem is, is that it has no texture. I don't know how to create textures using graphics editors (such as Paint, if your using Windows, but I'm on Linux so instead of Paint you have a little program called the GIMP. Either way, they both are the same type of program). If anyone out there has some tutorials they could refer me to on how to make a texture from scratch, that'd be great. I will post a jpg of my sword in a minute. Remember, this was my FIRST model using AC3D (which is also my first 3d modeling program) so don't be to critical about it. But anyway, like I said, if anyone knows of some good tutorials on texturing, let me know. Thanks in advance. I appreciate any responses.

Last edited by prejudged_fire; 1st August 2006 at 02:45 AM.
prejudged_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 02:46 AM   #2
prejudged_fire

Default Re: creating textures from scratch

My little sword here (I know its primitive but what do you expect?)

Last edited by prejudged_fire; 1st August 2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 5th August 2006, 05:11 PM   #3
griff
Professional user

First off prejudged fire ... I have never tried GIMP, but will assume GIMP works like Photoshop or PaintShopPro.

Step I. Create a texture map for you sword. I usually do this in pieces/areas of an object .. so start with the blade. Select all the blade surfaces open the texture mapper and then map to the *front*. (This assumes the sword is vertical and the broad part of the blade is facing you.) Scale and arrange the position to left side of the rectangle you see in Texture Editor leaving space for other parts. Now select a different part eg: the handle map it the same way but make its final position different from the blade (no overlap). Repeat for the hilt.

Step2. Select the whole sword. Open Texture Editor, Maximise the area of the Editor, then maximize the rectangle area (that will be your final image.). Now either make a screen capture or use the copy to clipboard function (in AC3D V6). *SAVE* your textured mapped sword as an AC3D .ac file

Step3. Use the screen capture or paste from clipboard into GIMP. Crop the image to the rectangle which defines your image size. Use this as a *layer* in GIMP ( the 'sword_map layer').

Step 4. Create another layer and move the sword_map layer on top of it and make it semi-transparent.

Step 5. Using the underneath layer, use the *image select* select a rectangle where you see the blade part, then *fill* that selection with a *gradient* fill (a grey to white will work nicely ... gives a silvery effect).

Step 6. Using the image select tool, select other parts and paint or fill as you want.

Step 7. Save the final image in two ways. 1. In a format that maintains the layers (in case you want to go back and change things). 2. Delete the *sword_map layer* and save it as a jpg.

Step8. Open AC3D, load the texture mapped sword file you saved in Step1, Select the whole sword object and go Object-->Texture->Load Texture and find the .jpg file you saved. You should have a nice textured sword.

griff
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 09:45 PM   #4
prejudged_fire

Allright thanks, I'll give it a try.