Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Work In Progress / Showcase
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th September 2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Lordcaim
Expert member

Default Red Earth: Space Encounters

This is the space only battles that I decided to do. Since I seperated ground and air combat I'll be adding more things , not just ships. There will be increased tactical command. Press a number on the num pad to call a unit, then press a number above the letters to give a command. I'll make more button commands for speeds, weapon settings, rechargeing shields, weapon recharge, being near capital ships will increase recharge and repair, capital ship fighting, and the destruction of capital ships.
*Note* The people you play and fight with are not Z squad, don't know who i'll make them.
The attachments are pictures of the human ships as of now, probally wouldn't change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web6.png
Views:	300
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1226  

Name:	web7.png
Views:	230
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1227  

Old 12th September 2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Lordcaim
Expert member

Default Re: Red Earth: Space Encounters

Here's some progress. This wasn't taken in game but I ran a test and this is a remake of what happened. It's rather glitchy right now but it's working good enough for me to continue. This is one of the maps, shrunk, and the explosion things on the ships are the shields. Until I can get it so you can't fly out of the map, can die, actually have a HUD, etc there won't be a demo, sorry Also I'm going to work on the background, try and make it blend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	web8.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1232  

Old 15th September 2008, 09:17 PM   #3
lisa
Professional user

Look forward to the demo.

Don't know if your engine supports it, but one trick that works for the background is to set the material to 100% emissive on your skycube. Right click on the material in AC3D, then move the emissive sliders until its completely white. This will help keep the walls of the cube from being visible. Make sure your set ambient and diffuse to black as well, it will keep the cube from getting over-saturated.

Also, again, don't know if your engine supports it, another tip is to turn z-buffer writes *off* when you render the sky cube. This will make it seem like it is an infinite distance, even if it is much smaller. (This part you can't do in AC3D, but its helpful once you finally get your model in your game engine.)
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Lordcaim
Expert member

Thanks for the tip lisa, i'll look into it
Also just so you guys know, school started for me a couple of weeks ago but it's really began to dish out alot of homework recently, so i'll work on this when i can (mostly weekends, fridays and when ever i finish my homework).
Old 17th September 2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Lordcaim
Expert member

Here's a new frigate, the Fire. It's one of the enemy's and shoots out (as seen) small plasma missles. The missles are fairly powerful and the frigate itself is fast but it does not have shields. Instead it has a powerful hull, not too powerfull but strong enough to hold off a couple of blasts. The pink thing in the middle is the bridge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	web9.png
Views:	282
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1244  

Name:	web10.png
Views:	226
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1245  

Old 17th September 2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Lordcaim
Expert member

I have come up with the background story for this one. You are in the same fleet but you play as the fighter squad instead of the marine squad(z squad). This is alittle more before hand than I had planned before so there is a second assualt frigate (won't give away how it gets destroyed )

Fleet Zealous: 1 Marine Cruiser, 2 Assault Frigate
Fighter Squads:
Searching…
Beta Squad:
Fighter 1: Pilot Raphael: Role: Assault
Fighter 2: Pilot Marcus: Role: Defense
Fighter 3: Pilot Joseph: Role: Assist
Fighter 4: Pilot Jeremy: Role: Bomber
Fighter 5: Pilot Johnson: Role: Heavy
Fighter 6: You: Role: Any

Number controls:
Match number on num-pad with fighter number. Numbers above the letters give commands (1) attack (2) defend capital ship (3) Follow me (4) Go ahead of me (5) continuously fire (6) cancels order given
Attack: will find the nearest enemy fighter and destroy it. Defend capital ship: will circle around the capital ship and insure than enemies do not get near. Follow me: the fighter will follow behind you, useful for cover fire and getting chasers off your tail. Go ahead of me: allows the fighter to move ahead of you, good for doing team bombing runs. Continuously fire: the fighter will draw the attention by firing non stop at every enemy ship, no matter the distance. Cancels order given: gives computer free will to do what they want.