Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Snow
Advanced member

Default Re: Ctrl-Shift-S = Save As

The fact that someone is asking here for a shortcut proofs that not all user prefer to do every single task by clicking a button or selecting a menu item.

I don't know which version of Blender you're referring, but even the oldest version on my computer (v2.49) let's you move the object along axis by simply grabbing the colored arrow and drag the object to the desired position.

Back to the shortcuts in AC3D. The few shortcuts available do only work, if the mouse cursor is at the right position. If you left the cursor in one of the value fields of the Replicator, or the Extrude pane or Create 2D Text or something similar, and closed that window, the shortcuts don't work any longer because you're still typing into this fields without seeing it.
Even basic tasks like switching the modes don't work via shortcut if you forgot the cursor in a value field. That means you always have to check whether the mouse cursor is within one of the view windows AND you didn't forget the text cursor somewhere.

That is not intuitive at all. It's simply annoying.
Old 23rd July 2012, 04:52 PM   #12
virtualalias
Expert member

Default Re: Ctrl-Shift-S = Save As

I also prefer the 'bounding box' paradigm. I'm so used to it now that I can't stomach the idea of modeling in anything that doesn't automatically give me my little scaling box.

As for the short-cut driven versus mouse-driven, I believe what was meant is that a program must first build a model in the user's mind and this is (imo) more easily done visually. Once that user becomes a "power user" or "experienced", however, it is much easier to tack shortcuts onto the existing mind model and thereby speed up workflow. All developers should assume an iterative path from beginner to mastery unless they develop things that already have established UI behavior. (Such as a word processor)

Last edited by virtualalias; 23rd July 2012 at 04:55 PM.
virtualalias is offline   Reply With Quote