Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th December 2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Kireyo
Expert member

Default Re: Need help creating Second Life Sculpties

1) you could try the UV map tool, but since you changed the mesh, it won't revert back to the original mapping. Again I suggest you just start again, this time using the SL sample sphere as a starting point.

2) I'm afraid I don't have the answer to this one either, but I recognize the problem (see pic). If all else fails you could make it phantom and add invisible prims to be able to sit in your pool.
Attached Images

Kireyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 03:21 PM   #12
LightWizard

I took your pool and stretched it a bit to more closely resemble mine, being careful not to touch the texture map. I rezzed it in 2nd life and it did indeed look great. I did a quick check with it about the same size as yours and had the same issue trying to enter it. However, my wife told me that she made the pool very large and was able to get into it without making it phantom (she even made it physical), so perhaps the issue is the touch radius of the object and avatar. I was thinking that this might be mod'able via scripting (really unsure, but I saw some api's used for detecting pushes, etc that looked promising).

Regarding restoring the map, I know you can copy the texture map to the clipboard...any way to load a texture map INTO AC3D? I was thinking I could save the one from your project file if can find a way to import it into mine.

If not, perhaps a good recommendation for enhancement.

Thank you SO much for the assistance...much appreciated.

LW
LightWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 07:32 PM   #13
LightWizard

One slight clarification...I tried to see if I could get into the pool after it was expanded to full sized (10m x,y,z)...I was unable to do so...i can clearly see the concave surface, but stand on top of it all as if it's still a full sphere (or some similar shape). Any magic for a single prim to make it behave as if it were concave?

How do folks normally deal with this...multiple prim's is what I would assume.

Do other texture mapping types (box, cylinder) make objects that behave as 3D as well as look 3D?

Thanks, I'm sure this same newbie set of questions keeps re-occuring. Should I write a newbie guide to making SL prims with AC3D from my experience in getting started? I could put in what I've learned, others could add to it (or correct, just in case). If it's well enough written and useful enough, perhaps it could be pinned so as to cut down on the SL newbie pleas here.

Again, thanks...LW
Old 6th December 2008, 08:32 PM   #14
Kireyo
Expert member

A sculpted prim's collision box is as large as the sculptie's bounding box, I don't think there's an elegant solution for this, except making it phantom and using invisible prims to sit/walk on.
Maybe someone else has a better way of dealing with it, but I've run out of ideas I'm afraid.
Kireyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 05:02 PM   #15
LightWizard

I have a hot tub that came with a grotto I got in SL. It's a cylinder (in SL sizes) about .25 meters thick, forming the round walls of the pool, and it has a bottom disk to act as its bottom (about the same thickness. I can fit within the cylinder/hot tub and it has normal touch/physical boundaries. It's not made physical, though I'm sure it would act the same wrt boundaries (it's obviously not phantom either).

My next naive trick will be to try to create such a cylinder. I'll start with the cylinder and see if I can mold it around to a similar shape. I haven't yet had a chance to try, so this may be a vain attempt, but I'll see if I can do it with that technique.

Any suggestions for making such a cylinder would be much appreciated...I'll report back after (likely tomorrow eve).

Again, thanks...LW
Old 12th December 2008, 08:30 PM   #16
lisa
Professional user

FWIW, "normalized mode" is often helpful for collision boxes. It will force the sculpty to 100% fill the collision box, so you don't have any "dead air" around the prim.

(EDIT: But you're still limited SL's spherical bounds.)
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote