Go Back   AC3D Forums > Resources > AC3D Tutorials and How-To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th October 2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Dzemo
Advanced member

Default Tutorial or show me how?

Can someone please teach me how to make this

I made a nice shape for it but could not get the hole through the handle. Also, how do you texture just a few of the surfaces for a label???

Last edited by Dzemo; 16th October 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Dzemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 11:06 AM   #2
donamy
Professional user

Default Re: Tutorial or show me how?

Got boolean ?
donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Dzemo
Advanced member

Yes not sure how to use it though. I played around with that function and managed to mess up my practice models. Is there a tutorial buried in the forum somewhere?
Dzemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Using the boolean function will probably leave holes or open edges since it's designed to work on sold objects only - it's likely to cause problems with a subdivision.

I'd revolve a line to make the bottle shape; select a vertical strip of surfaces for the handle; extrude twice. delete surfaces where you want the hole, patch over the 'inside' of the handle by selecting sets of four vertices and using Vertex->Create-ordered-surface (for each bridge surface).

You could also create the bottle and handle separately and then use Create-convex-surface/object to bridge the bottom and top of the handle. (then you'd need to remove any internal surfaces and merge/optimize.

If you don't want to subdivide the model (like the picture is), you could use boolean but you'll need to ensure the obejct is fully closed (no holes).
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Stiglr
Professional user

If you can isolate a properly shaped surface at the beginning and end of the handle,it would likely be easier to use box modeling techniques and just extrude the handle out, rotate the surface to point downward, extrude down and mate the end to a second surface where it reconnects with the rest of the jug. That should only involve snapping together and welding four pairs of vertices.

Booleans are messy, and often result in a bunch of superfluous vertices that you have to clean up with snap together commands and such. Box modeling and extrusion is much easier way to go.

As for the label... it looks like you've already got a bunch of surfaces properly textured? If you have to recreate it, one way to do it might be to create and slice surfaces to "carve" the shape of the label into the jug itself. By this, I mean: select two vertices that share a surface line. Vertex/Insert Vertex. Combine this with selecting vertice pairs and using Vertex/Slice Surface to create lines between them. Do this however necessary to create a border on the jug of the exact shape of your label. Then, you have a visual guide to refer to when painting a graphic based on the UV mapping. This would also save you from having to make a separate label fit the exact form of the jug, which might be tricky.

PM me if any of this is unclear, and perhaps I can help you further.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
Windows 7
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals

Last edited by Stiglr; 18th October 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote