Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th September 2003, 10:16 PM   #1
MastaMappa

Default AC3D vs Cartography Shop

Good Day,

Anybody believe, like I do, that AC3D is the best mesh modeller for game worlds? Plus, with the inclusion of booleans in the next release, I don't think there will be any competition for a modeller at this price. I've used GMAX (incredibly buggy), Cartography Shop (disgustingly buggy to the point I don't even have it installed), and some other modellers. None of them come close to the ease of AC3D. The one thing I'm wondering is if this next release with the booleans will be stable or not. The one thing about booleans is that they can crash and corrupt the best software. The only software out there with a stable boolean function is either Rhino or Vue' D Esprit and one is way too expensive and the other one can't export models. So in all truth, the next version of AC3D will be pretty pivotal to the game and mod community and I believe, if it's as stable as 3.7, it should be marketted as not only a great modeller but also as software necessary for game design. I really hope the booleans turn out like some of the map editors like 3D Game Studio's. AC3D plus Wings3D, in my opinion is the best you can do right now. Peace.
MastaMappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2003, 09:56 AM   #2
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

Default Re: AC3D vs Cartography Shop

Yes - more and more games people are discovering AC3D - please tell others!

The boolean plugin is very stable and has already been tested by a number of people. It's written by a very experienced programmer and I've never had it crash.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 07:17 AM   #3
figgy
Advanced member

Hi all, i couldn't agree more with Mastamapper. I've use most of the packages that are mentioned. None come close to the ease of use of AC3D.
I use AC3D for making maps and models for my game engine. The file format is so easy to use or convert to your own format.

The only thing missing in AC3D for map makers is the lack of a texture Browser. Searching the texture list without a thumbnail is annoying especially when you've got 50 plus loaded textures. Andy tells me he'll be implementing some sort of texture properties box. This will allow you to click an item and have the texturename displayed somewhere.

A couple of years ago i mentioned AC3D on Gamedev as a superb low cost modeller. It suprises me that i havn't seen any mention other than my own.
I guess i'll have to head of over there and put up another post.

cya

Mark
figgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 11:04 AM   #4
Razer
Professional user

i've been using AC3D since 99 to make WW2 aircraft for different games. this is a model I'm currently working on for a WW2 Online sim currently in open beta and development.

Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 03:15 PM   #5
-WOODY-
Professional user

Veeeeeery nice! I see that we have a lot of talented people in our midst.
I'm a Battlefield 1942 fan myself. I just wish that there was a plug-in for that so I could do models and get them in-game.
-WOODY- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 03:49 PM   #6
figgy
Advanced member

Superb Razer....Textures look so real.
figgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 06:55 PM   #7
Razer
Professional user

I just did the model, we have 2D artist to do the schemes. What formats does BF support? I use 3D Exploration to do alot of my converting to more useable formats when it comes to games that don't support much.

Nice thing about this game is we (we being me and the other guy using AC3D) got the programmer to support .ac format so i can just save the model and see it in game.

He is a pic of another plane I did.

Razer is offline   Reply With Quote