Go Back   AC3D Forums > General > AC3D Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2010, 11:55 AM   #1
d49l

Default Select/unselect mode

Hi!

When you add things to your selection by holding down the shift key, I find that the move/size handles are in the way. And that its a problem that you can't select something in the middle, as the pointer would be set to move things when I want to select things when I'm holding down shift. Maybe the default move action(when your mouse pointer is in the middle in a selection) could be unactivated when your holding down the shift key. Or it could be nice to have a
dedicated mode (like move/size, rotate, extrude ...) for selecting things, if this other solution isn't possible.

It would also be nice if you click on something thats already selected, that it gets unselected. Now, that would help alot. :-D

Thanks for a nice program...
d49l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
donamy
Professional user

Default Re: Select/unselect mode

I don't have any of the problems you describe. Alot of times when I move things that shouldn't be moved, is because I'm working too quickly and not paying attention, but they are just an 'undo' away. Also, you may be used to doing things a different way, depending on what other modeler you are used too.
donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 06:27 PM   #3
d49l

Well! The problem isn't that I move things that shouldn't be moved I think that missunderstod me. The problem is to select more of the right things...

The problem that I seem to encounter all the time, is that you can't select things that are in the bounderys of the things that I selected before. Why? Because the only alternetive is to move objects in the middle of the green frame for 'resizing and moving'... When I'm holding down the shift key I defenetly don't whant to move things, I whant to select more things. And you can move all you have selected whitout holding down the shift key. So maybe the shift key could disable the move option or something like that.

I find that the green 'resizing, moving' wire frame is in the way. It often blocks me from further selection. I guess the solution now is to zoom and rotate your view, and buy a screen that has more resolution. But I have had cases when it's imposible to select those things that i want.

How do you select something if the move option in in the way from doing it? This gives me gray hair A solution to this would save me enormous much time. Now my focus often is how I should do to be able to select those things that I want... and not how to get the job done.

As I metioned before, it can also be an alternative to have a mode that doesn't move and resize and that is only used to select and unselect...

This is just some ideas. But how do you out there work to not encouter this problem? Is this only me or is this a real problem?
Old 31st January 2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Andy
Administrator
Professional user

You should be able to select anywhere inside the green box with shift (apart from the handles). If it's not working like this then something is wrong.

You might find holding control+shift and 'drawing' a selection useful.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
d49l

Thanks for your help Andy!

This program is actually working as in my wildest dreams

Whats been foling me all the time is that (when I'm holding down the shift key) my mouse pointer looks like this move pointer cross, but I can actually select, and also unselect with right mose button... GREAT!!! Many useful freatures

Now my suggestion has reduced in size by far...
If only this mousepointer could look like a normal pointer when you hold down the shift key (standing in the middle of the box with the resize handles). It would be more intuitive and easier to select/unselect also.

Thanks!!!
Old 31st January 2010, 03:54 PM   #6
donamy
Professional user

One thing you could do, that might take alittle time but it's simple, is to hide the things selected, select more things, until you've selected all you wish too, then lock all unselected, unhide the ones selected before. Then only the things you wanted selected will be unlocked and able to move.
donamy is offline   Reply With Quote